Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need help on Gretl's Fresh Tomato Tart

Options
chuckls
chuckls Posts: 399
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I mixed up a batch of dough this morning and it's cooling in the fridge. Planning to use a cheesecake springform pan because the recipe calls for "tart pan with removable bottom".[p]My question is how to set up the egg - I'm planning to use an inverted plate setter, with the grid on the upturned legs, but wonder if I should put a pizza stone under the tart pan to help brown the bottom crust. Or would that keep it from browning?[p]Chuck

Comments

• chuckls, can't remember but methinks I did mine with legs down , and pie right on the plate setter. but I think the pie will turn out fine even if you turned PS other way and didn't use a stone on the grid.

• chuckls
    Options
    Chet,[p]Legs down it is! Thanks[p]Chuck
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    chuckls,
    You need to get yourself a tart pan, when you get a chance. A tart is a very shallow item and the fluted edges add visual interest. (Geez, I sound like a, like a, like a...I don't know!) But go for it! I did mine on a pizza stone sitting on a raised grid since I don't have a plate setter for my small. But a pizza stone on a plate setter, preheated, would be ideal.
    TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • chuckls
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,[p]You know, I looked at my wife's fluted-edge ceramic dish-thingy, and thought "I should use that" but the "removable bottom" mention in the recipe threw me. So I used a spring-form instead. [p]On second thought, I _should_ have used my wife's thingy because now I'm worried that the thin walls of the spring-form pan will allow the crust to burn. Oh, well, there's always next time![p]Chuck