Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

spatchcock question

Options
Chef Boyaree
Chef Boyaree Posts: 150
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I tried a spatchcock chicken for the umpteenth time this weekend and am still running into the same problem. The chicken juices land on the coals causing smoke and the chicken comes out with an overpowering charcoal smoke flavor. I can imagine that a drip pan with an elevated bird could be the answer but have never seen that recommended. As such, I have continued to try the traditional way. I have done wings at high temp w/ plate setter for a long period of time and they have come out crispy. That method could also be an option. Any suggestions?

Comments

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    I do most of my chicken cooks with a platesetter and an aluminum foil drip pan on the platesetter...put someting on the platesetter to raise the drip pan up so the fat doesn't smoke. Indirect is the best way to avoid smokey chicken taste.
  • Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    Use the plate setter and get the temp up to 450°. They cook great with crispy skin and juicy meat. You could even go higher just remember it will cook quicker the higher you go.
  • F308gt4
    F308gt4 Posts: 35
    Options
    I had the same thing happen to me the first time I did it direct.

Now I just cook with a raised grid, and put a drip pan underneath on the bottom grid (I don't use the platesetter). I sometimes put a little juice or water in the pan, but it doesn't appear to make a difference.

Works great.
  • Ricklesss
    Ricklesss Posts: 391
    Options
    Coincidentally, I just happened to be reading the NakedWhiz's Spatcocking info on his website this morning (http://www.nakedwhiz.com/spatch.htm)
    and though he shows the bird being cooked direct, he also mentions that a drip pan solves the grease flare ups.
  • Jersey Doug
    Jersey Doug Posts: 460
    Options
    The first time I cooked a spatchcock chicken direct there was a lot of smoke and Jersey Girl wasn't really thrilled with the taste - I thought it was OK. The next time, I removed as much fat as I could from the chicken before I cooked it. I also lowered the dome temperature to 325º. It smoked a lot less and Jersey Girl was a lot happier. I've done it that way ever since.
  • kilts
    kilts Posts: 30
    Options
    I like to cook Spatchcock Chicken Indirect.
    I have the plate setter feet up with 3 3/4 copper pipe elbows as spacers under the drip pan . I then cook the Chicken on the grill grate on top .
    I set the temp for about 400 F . The fat goes in the drip pan so the flavor is better.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I always do mine at about 375-400, raised direct. AND I add smoking wood, usually cherry chips. Love it! To each his own, I guess. :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• evenwhenitsraining
    Options
    People love, love, love my chicken. I use the platesetter with the legs up, no drip pan, and the bird on the grill, skin side up. I don't have any problems. Roast the bird at 450 until its dark golden brown and the legs will pull away from the body with a gentle tug.