Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, see our new showroom and check out the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

OT - Old Solid Copper Mixing Bowls

ArvadaManArvadaMan Posts: 202
edited 10:34PM in EggHead Forum
I was in the local thrift shop yesterday and came across an old set of solid copper mixing bowls for $12.00.

I would like to clean the tarnish off and put them to use in my kitchen. Any suggestions about cleaning off the tarnish?

Comments

• Carolina QCarolina Q Posts: 9,781
    Barkeeper's Friend. Sort of like Bon Ami except it works! Great for stainless too.

PS: Bed Bath & Beyond has it if u can't find it in your grocery store.

I will not eat oysters. I want my food dead. Not sick, not wounded... dead.

Woody Allen

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• misfitmisfit Posts: 358
    I've had good results with a vinegar and salt paste. And for real, try a spot with ketchup. Either takes some time depending on the patina.
  • SlingbladeSlingblade Posts: 28
    Not sure if it will work, but Coca Cola has many, many uses.
  • Capt FrankCapt Frank Posts: 2,578
    As misfit said, Ketchup may do the trick.
    There is a comercial product called "Never Dull" that is sold in auto and marine supply outlets, It is a non-abrasive brass cleaner, should work on copper too. B)

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • Jersey DougJersey Doug Posts: 460
    Barkeepers Friend will clean them up nicely. I'd be careful using them for cooking, however. Copper reacts in nasty unhealthy ways with a number of foods. The only real use for an unlined copper bowl in a kitchen is whipping egg whites. (Copper lined with stainless or, more traditionally, tin, is another story. It makes wonderfully responsive cookware. I have and use a lot of it.)