Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

pizza set up question

Options
Austin Egger
Austin Egger Posts: 256
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a large egg, platesetter, regular cooking grid and a 16" pizza crisper. What is the best way to set it up? Do I put the platesetter on top of the regular grid (legs down)and put the pizza crisper directly on top of the platesetter? If so, do I need any kind of gap between the crisper and platesetter? I do have a split fire brick that might give it a little bit of a gap. Unfortunately, I won't be able to purchase any kind of pizza stone before the cook tomorrow since the stores are closed today and probably tomorrow. Any input is always appreciated! :)

Comments

• Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    Put your platesetter in legs down. Then you need an air gap between it and the crisper [although I must admit I don't know exactly what a "crisper" is]. You can accomplish this by just setting the grate on top of the platesetter or by using little balls of Alum foil, most anything will do. The platesetter gets to hot to put anything, even a good stone, directly on it, hence the need for the air gap. B)
    Hope this helps :)

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • Austin Egger
    Austin Egger Posts: 256
    Options
    Gotcha and thanks! A crisper is basically a regular circular pizza pan with holes on the bottom which is suppose to help crisp the bottom.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    This is what most people do, though they use the green feet instead of these terracotta feet (which work just fine). The closer you can come to this, the better. Don't know about a crisper, but if you can find something to block the direct heat (a MUST), you could probably cook the pizza directly on the platesetter.

4653418562_ccaef56727_b.jpg

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• NC-CDN
    NC-CDN Posts: 703
    Options
    When I have done pizza I have put the pizza stone on top of my platesetter (leg's down). Laying flat on it. I see in your pic that you have a set of legs to distance the platesetter and pizza stone. Is there a reason for this? Love to know as I didn't know to do that? And if there is a good reason to do that, could I use the legs that came with the EGG for that purpose? Mine is on a table and I have it propped with wood I think presently so the legs are available.

Thanks.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Andrew, the air space helps prevent the bottom of the crust from burning. As I said, most here use the green feet. Mine are in use elsewhere so I use the terracotta (Lowe's, about a buck each-garden dept). Copper pipe fittings work too - even balled up alum foil. Three of anything that won't burn can be used for the pizza stone spacers.

As for your table, you need a 1 1/2" thick paver AND the green feet (not wood). The egg gets hot enough down there to burn wood (table or spacer blocks). My terracotta feet are fine for holding up a pizza stone, but I wouldn't set an egg on them. Search the forum - you'll find pics of scorched tables where the owners did not use pavers AND feet.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Petunia
    Petunia Posts: 110
    Options
    This is my set up: platesetter, grid, raised grid and stone.
    CIMG2516.JPG