Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Baby Back Rib Question

Options
Smokin' T
Smokin' T Posts: 259
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
When doing ribs, is there a difference in using liquid in the drip pan as opposed to not using liquid. If there is, what are they?

I've been using the 4-1-1 method with liquid in the drip pan and they come out darrrrn good. Maybe I still have room for improvment.

Thanks in advance.

Tom
Dunedin, Fl.

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Obviously using liquid in a drip pan when the ribs are foiled doesn't accomplish much other than bragging rights.

In a propane smoker or gasser I can tell the difference if a drip pan is used. However, cooking in the egg I can't tell the difference.

It will be interesting to see what others think.

GG
  • FearlessGrill
    FearlessGrill Posts: 695
    Options
    I've never noticed a difference in the food when putting liquid in the drip pan. The only time I do is when cooking indirect at higher temps, such as a chicken at 400 degrees, in order to keep the drippings from burning and giving off unpleasant smoke.

-John
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    Wondering... what temp are you using for the 4-1-1? I like to use a drip pan with apple juice/cider vinegar/water under my ribs or pork butt. Don't really know by comparison if it makes a difference, but I do it anyway. I also throw a few chunks of onion (along with some apple/cherry wood chips) in the fire from time to time. If nothing else, the aroma (wonderfully aromatic) adds a nice twist to the cook and also has the neighbors salivating over their charcoal! Happy Cookin'!!
  • Smokin' T
    Smokin' T Posts: 259
    Options
    Rascal,

I keep my dome temp at 240 degrees. Good idea on the aroma factor w/the onions. I've tried different liquids in the drip pan, but tasted no difference in the final product, therefore I use water.

I do use different liquids when I foil for one hour.

Tom
    Dunedin, Fl.