Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Want to carve fruit and garnish like a pro?

Little Chef
Little Chef Posts: 4,725
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Forgive me in advance for this post, as it is not Egg related. However, I have received emails from several folks interested in learning more about fruit carving. I spoke to a Chef friend of mine in California, his name is Chef Ray Duey. He is a culinary instructor, and is absolutely amazingly talented when it comes to fruit carving! I have absolutely no involvement with this whatsoever, other than having experience with his tools and videos, and getting any interested eggheads a discount. I recommend his products highly.

I spoke to Chef Ray, and he has agreed to offer all eggheads 5% off all orders, plus free shipping. (this works out to an average 15% savings). :) Or you can order the full tool kit including carrying case, plus the Fruit & Vegetable Carving video for $100. Simply place your order through his webite, then send him an email with your order number, password "Big Green Egg", and the date of your order. You will receive the discount and postage refund on your credit card in approximately 24 hours.

Here is his link, and I hope this helps those who have inquired. The tools, videos and books are offered in his 'products' link. Great site....I hope you all enjoy his work.

http://www.chefgarnish.com/

(should I post a food pic to make this a legal post?? :woohoo: ) A couple fruit pics I've done...after all, I already said it was "OT". I should be totally embarrassed to post these pics when you have probably looked at his site. He is very good at what he does! :blush:

222.jpg

343.jpg

(And shhhhh....there is rumor he may be offering a carving class before the FL Fest next year.... :whistle: We'll see if we can work it out!)

Comments

• Boss Hogg
    Boss Hogg Posts: 1,377
    Little Chef!!! Hey thanks for doing this. If he comes to Fla next year, will that get me out of cooking?? I want to stay up 'til 4AM with the pros! :whistle: Those fruit pics are awesome. Does he get the "Bubba Tim" award? Miss seeing you guys!
    Brian
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    Dang LC I just mastered spatchcock chicken without the emergency room visits and now you want me to use "real sharp" tools :whistle: Just kidding, your carvings look great and really hope your friend can make the fest. We promise not to embarrass you :evil: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    On a side note tell Tim to give me a call if you get serious on your project and I'll make a roadtrip :woohoo:
  • Little Chef
    Aww...C'mon Pat...they are little knives.... :evil: :whistle: . And thanks for your offer, we may very well take you up on it. :)
  • Little Chef
    Hey Brian! If we can get it coordinated, he will hold the class the Friday afternoon before the Meet & Greet. So...yeah...you still gotta cook buddy!! :laugh: He does great work, and his videos are great. Those pics were my lame attempts...lol... Look at Chef Rays site. His work is amazing! Do we get to see you and your lovely wife at mini fest??? :huh:
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Hi Michelle,
    I am very interested.
    Thx
    Mike
  • Little Chef
    Mike....Just go to his website.... www.chefgarnish.com. After you order, send him an email with your order number and the key word "Big Green Egg". He will credit your account for the discounts and shipping within approx 24 hours. I recommend the "standard fruit and veg carving Set" with his Fruit & Vegetable carving video.... same package I have been using. He is offering the combo to Eggheads at $100.
  • those are great. but how are his punkins?

:)
  • Little Chef
    LOL!!! First, those lame carvings posted here were mine.... But based on what I see here, I bet his punkins might give you a run for your money. B)

http://www.chefgarnish.com/gallery.asp

Stike...your punkins ROCK!!! NO doubt about it! B)
  • Boss Hogg
    Boss Hogg Posts: 1,377
    LC, Lovely wife???? ( don't even tell her that i made that crack). What is the date? I didn't sign up. She already told me if I go on anymore trips I have to take her sightseeing :whistle:
    BC
    PS-The flat iron came out perfect!
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Boy they are artistic pieces. Thanks for sharing and for helping out other eggheads. You willingness to go the extra mile is a cool thing.
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Wow, just wow to that watermelon.

I didn't want to carve fruit like a pro before, but I do now. Excellent post, LC.
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Michelle those works of art belong in a museum....just beautiful.....can't wait to try one of yours.... ;)
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    LC, your carvings are so impressive. :) Because of you and BigDaddy, I'm signing up for the kit and the video. I can't wait..............now I just need to find the time.
  • Thanks for all of your help, Michelle. I'm in...just have to decide what I want. I love the Thai laquered knife and have seen it in use...maybe that goes on the wish list.

Yeah Rebecca, lets do this! We might even get our own little sub-forum to post pictures on.

Bruce
  • Geoduck
    Geoduck Posts: 76
    Or you can order the full tool kit including carrying case, plus the Fruit & Vegetable Carving video for $100.

What a fascinating site and, I think, a great offer EXCEPT that I can't find anything that looks like a "full tool kit." Can you give me more details on what this means??
    Thanks
  • Geoduck
    Geoduck Posts: 76
    Never mind - I figured it out: Standard Fruit and Vegetable Carving Set

AND I just bought the greatest Xmas gift ever for my cookin-crazy daughter-in-law.