Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Flap

Options
berrygood
berrygood Posts: 372
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I ran across some rarely seen flap meat the other day at Whole Foods. From what I understand, it is a little-known but great piece of beef. The butcher compared it to flank - "only better."

From what I understand, tenderness can be tough to attain. I plan to use it for Mexican on Saturday. Any advice/feedback would be appreciated. Gracias.

Comments

• ground control
    Options
    It's perfect for tacos, and it's really great if you marinate it and cook at high temp quickly. I'm still waiting for my first egg, but I've often made this on a gasser - it's from epicurious: blend equal parts maple syrup, balsamic vinegar, and soy sauce with some garlic, salt and pepper. Let the meat marinate for about a half hour. Then cook over high direct heat for about 8 minutes total. Let it rest, and slice against the grain.

For tacos marinate in equal parts olive oil and soy sauce, with a little less white vinegar, lime juice, a little cumin, s&p, and some heat--cayenne, ancho, or your fav (I pretty much splash and dash the rest, don't really measure). This version should marinate a bit longer - up to half a day. Grill the same way, and after it rests chop it up for carne asade tacos. Good luck!
  • Vincent Chase
    Vincent Chase Posts: 149
    Options
    Berrygood, I have some frozen and FoodSaver'd in my freezer, so I'll follow your posts to see what you thought of it and how you prepared it. I remember reading that a lot of restaurants use the flap meat for their steak tips, so maybe that'll help you understand the cut you're working with a little better, and ground control's recipes look great and seems to be in the ballpark of what you were looking for.

Best of luck to you!
  • berrygood
    berrygood Posts: 372
    Options
    Thanks for the responses. I'll post pics on Saturday.