Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoking Eel

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
A friend of my is bringing me some eel to smoke and I haven't any clue as to where to start.[p]I need help real bad![p]Any advice will be appreciated.

Comments

• tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    BGEER, The best I have had was with teriaki sauce, other than that I dont know how they did them. Again, I was 4 bottles of Supporo's into it and everything tasted wonderfull.

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    BGEER,[p]My father used to smoke eel only it wasn't on an Egg.
    He hot smoked it and I think what you need to do is indirect keeping the dome temp 200º or less for at least 8 to 10 hours (it is possible for it to be done in less time). Keeping the smoke going all the time. Fish isn't like beef or pork it will continue to pick up smoke till you stop. I've done salmon 200º for 12 hours and it's come out just as moist and tasty as anything I've ever had. The hardest part is keeping the temp at 200º.

• The Other Dave
    Options
    BGEER, I am so proud no one said the hardest part is keeping it lit! Anyway, down here on the coast, we smoke mullet. I think you might like this recipe, just subbing eel for mullet. With the cane syrup, I suppose it will give a teriaki type finish.

[ul][li]Biloxi Bacon[/ul]