Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Butt in a pan???

Options
florida Nick
florida Nick Posts: 101
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just wondering what everyone thinks of cooking a butt in a disposable aluminum pan. I have done this a couple times with mixed results. Most times they have come out great and I really like to be able to use the drippings after letting the fat rise to the top and skimming it off.
Last time I used the pan method the butts came out a little too moist, borderline mushy texture.
Just wondering what the general consensus is. Thinking of putting the butt in the pan once I get to about 175/180 internal to see how that turns out.
Any comments, thoughts, or suggestions welcome.
Thanks
Nick

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    i rest the grate on a paella pan and put the butt on that, pan catches the drippings.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I've cooked in a pan twice. First time I didn't think to put the butt on a rack. I think you could call the bottom part of the butt "pork confit," after it sat in its own exude. Second time, elevated. Much better. Still, I find that PP is so moist and flavorful, I haven't as much use for the drippings as for when cooking something that tends to be dry, like turkey.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    On a recent episode of Diners Drive ins and Dives, a BBQ joint in CA did their butts in a pan filled with Guiness and water. The butts were about one third submerged. -RP
  • CBBQ
    CBBQ Posts: 610
    Options
    For my own personal preference I put the butts on a rack. However, most people have no clue what we would consider good bbq. I bbq for a living and I'm currently in the middle of a 4 week run at a Renaissance Faire. I had always hesitated in doing ribs at fairs because they can overcook pretty quick once they're done. Since the ribs can sit for a few hours before anyone orders them I was worried about that. Right now we're getting rave reviews because our ribs are "fall-off-the-bone", (i.e. overcooked). The same for the butts. I cook them in pans, on end with the fat cap out so there is hardly any bark. Around here bark means burnt. That somewhat mushy meat is considered moist. Go figure. But for me, family, friends and catering jobs they go on the rack.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Depends on what flavor & texture you are trying to achieve.

Using the term moist is a tough term as both methods will be moist.

Above water in a rack as stated above will give what the forum refers to as a great moist pulled prok.

Cooking in liquid will give a 'wet' texture which is fantastic in enchiladas, burritos, over rice, great 'wet' sandwiches and or just served on a plate. These are usually dripping wet and the flavor will depend on what the moisture is.

I have a great 'wet' pulled pork cook which turns out well when done in a crock pot. I have been working on time/temps & cuts of pork for doing it in a pan in the egg. I will post details when I get this project done to my liking.

GG
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    If you mainly trying to save the drippings, put your pan on the platesetter, but raise it up a little, wads of foil, an inverted, shallow pan, just anything so it is not sitting directly on the ceramic. Then just cook your butt above it, on the grid as usual B)
    A trick I do sometimes is to chop some onion and peppers and put them in the bottom of a crock pot with some apple juice. I put my finished butt in the pot, heat set as low as possible, and let it rest awhile. It will render some drippings into the liquid which all gets mixed up to make my sauce :P

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    The whole idea of Low and Slow is to allow the fat and collagen to render out. Why would you want to put it back in?

I always put my butts on a grate and allow the fat to drip into a pan. That pan has never looked appetizing in any manner. More like potential bio-fuel..

The butts I serve are always moist and never mushy.. I do serve a ton of butts (literally, might even be closer to two tons)!!
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    I agree with Celtic Wolf. I only save a little bit to flavor the sauce if I am making it from scratch. What is in the drip pan on the egg gets tossed. My raised drip pan method is used mostly for turkey, my post was probably misleading :unsure:

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • florida Nick
    florida Nick Posts: 101
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the feed back.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I thought it was the conversion of collagen to gelatin that was the "magic" in a low and slow, not the rendering of the collagen.

For what it's worth, I have cooked a butt in a disposable pan a few times, though it's been several years since I've done it. I found the end product a little on the greasy side and the bark was adversely affected. Not worth the effort to save the drippings in my opinion.
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    I have always cooked mine in a pan with no rack and no liquid. I like to catch the juices and defat them and pour it back over the pulled pork to keep it moist. After 16 hours the meat is cooked the same whether it is done on a rack or no rack, in a pan or not.
    Slow cooked pork is slow cooked pork.

CIMG2840.jpg

P5080179.jpg

Faith
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    ef202375.jpg

Cooking butts and briskets in pans does have it's advantages. One of the first comp guys that got me into hi-temp briskets does his in pans.

Usually the biggest advantage is being able able to move them around in a big pit. Some of the large steel cookers do have different heat zones in them, so when you are cooking 15 or 20 butts or briskets, some rotation is necessary. Having them in pans is also handy when moving them to the cutting table. As far as saving and using the drippings, they are really fatty...

fbafe84d.jpg

When I tried cooking in pans in my Egg, I didn't care for the bark, and for briskets anyway, I couldn't get a good fit... the pan was either too small or too large.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery