Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Ribs

Options
Randy
Randy Posts: 28
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Was my first time cooking ribs on my large bge.
Did ok not sure of exact cooking procedure. How much rub temp cook at , How long cook, and how can I tell ribs are done

Comments

• letheon1
    letheon1 Posts: 1
    Options
    Randy,
    I couldnt do it properly the first time I tried it. I think the temp needs to be at 300, and be very carefull not to add too much aromatic wood.

• Yazoo
    Yazoo Posts: 145
    Options
    Randy,[p]I did my first cook on a BGE yesterday, pork loin ribs. Here's how I did them. Friday evening I took 2 slabs, lightly coated them with regular old yellow mustard, dusted them well, but not too heavy, with a rub, sealed them in plastic wrap and put them back in the fridge. Saturday afternoon, assembled the egg for the cook; full load of lump w/1 chunk of hickory, inverted plate setter on fire ring, foil drip pan on plate setter, grill on legs of plate setter, rib rack on grill. I lit the BGE, let the it heat up and stabilize at 225. The dome temp actually got a little high, 300, but the grill temp never went over 250. As soon as I saw the dome temp coming down, I unwrapped the ribs, cut each slab in half and set them in the rib rack. The dome temp stayed a little high for the first hour, but it slowly settled down from 300 to 250 and the grill temp stayed at 225. I peeked once about 2 hours in (my first time cooking ribs at that low of temp, had to do it). After a total of about 4 hours, I used an instant read thermometer and ribs were at 180. It was getting late, so bumped the temp until the dome was at 300. I waited about 20-30 minutes and checked again. They were at 190 and I took them off. They were tender and moist. I think the important thing for low temp cooks is to make sure the egg doesn't get too hot and keep the lid down. Every time you open the lid, you let moisture out and the temps change. One thing to keep in mind though if you're used to eating ribs that have been steamed in foil first, like me, is that slow cooked ribs are aren't going to be dripping with juice like foil ribs, but they will still be moist.