Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

# ofof bottles of BBQ sauce to lbs of pulled pork?

Options
Ricklesss
Ricklesss Posts: 391
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am planning on doing several pork butt's this coming weekend. (me and everybody else...!)
I've only ever done one butt at a time, but am planning on doing 3 or 4 this time,so I don't run out.
I'm wondering how many bottles of BBQ sauce to get?
Is there an aprox. ratio regarding this?

Incidently, I am using Nakedwhiz's "every lb of uncooked pork equals 2.4 servings" formula.

Thanks!
Notice I didn't ask for recommendations regarding brand of sauce? :laugh:

Comments

• 'Q Bruddah
    'Q Bruddah Posts: 739
    Options
    Approximate might be a relative term but here's what I did. I smoked two 9 pounders and I have made Elder Ward's recipe for Piedmont sauce twice. I am going to guess its a scant two cups. Based on that I would allow a 16oz bottle per butt and I would not be afraid to have more depending on your "fudge factor" tolerance.
  • Cruezn
    Cruezn Posts: 317
    Options
    I would agree with one bottle per butt. I like mine with less sauce, my kids like it with more. I'd err on the side of less, and let people add more as they wish. I too am doing 4 butts this weekend (only ever done two at a time before), but will probably split into two cooks, as 4 on the large would take a long time and I don't have an adjustable rig, or raised grate. I just couldn't justify the cost of an adjustable rig for a one time cook.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Well, when you're serving pulled pork, you need some sauce as a binder if you're making sandwiches. It's kind of a play-it-by-ear deal making it sticky enough to hang on the bread or buns. I usually thin it out a little.

If you are serving the PP as a main meat, you can actually mix some of the foil juices into the meat as you are pulling it, then have some sauce on the side if anybody needs some (and don't be surprised if they don't use it).
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    haha - vinegar is not a binder. :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Davekatz
    Davekatz Posts: 763
    Options
    I did 8 butts. We ended up going through about two-thirds of the pulled pork and 1 quart of the regular sauce, almost a 1 pint of jalapeño, and just about 1/4 of the mustard.

Pulled Pork – Hot & Fast Butts
    Food & Fire - The carnivorous ramblings of a gluten-free grill geek.
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Options
    Cruezn, 4 butt won't take any longer than 2 butts if you can make a raised grate using carriage bolts or even bricks along the edges. Just put you meat probe in the smallest one and pull them as they get done, moving the probe to the next smallest and so forth.
  • NotabuttDave
    NotabuttDave Posts: 181
    Options
    Usually, my PP doesn't require sauce. The only time I use it, is on a bun. The I have to counteract the dryness of the bun. Now I'm hungry for a sammich