Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Transporting Egg - Pictures

Options
FearlessGrill
FearlessGrill Posts: 695
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi all,

This question gets asked a lot, so when I was moving my Large yesterday to teach a class, I decided to snap a couple of quick pictures to show how I safely transport it in my SUV.

Since I had to load it in the truck on my own, I took out all the guts and lifted the empty Egg into the truck, lifting most of the weight from the vent hole at the bottom and tipping toward the hinge, where I wrap my other arm for support.

Once I get it into the truck, I put the guts back in, as having the extra weight in there lowers the center of gravity making it less prone to tip, and also keeps me from having to put sooty parts on my carpets. I then slide the Egg into a corner, and using ratcheting nylon straps ($13 for 4 from Home Despot), strap the Egg to the back seat, since my truck doesn't have cargo tie downs for some stupid reason. I run one strap through the handle, and the other through the hinge to make sure they can't accidently slip off. Once I tighten the straps down, the Egg is fixed in place, and can barely wiggle.

4632027132_c735019e7e.jpg

I then fill in the space around the Egg with all the other things I'm packing, as I'm beginning to do in this 2nd picture. While the straps hold the Egg in place, packing tight around it helps keep it from jiggling around too much. By the time I had loaded a couple more coolers and a bin of supplies, everything was packed in tight, and wasn't going anywhere.

4631429611_133d69193d.jpg

Once I was done with my class, I used my long tongs and a stainless steel long ladle that I had brought along for the purpose to take the hot coals out of the Egg and put them in an ashcan. I then left the top open, and after about 90 minutes, it was cool enough to pick up and put back in the truck. On the way home, I put a concrete paver under the Egg in the truck, so the hot base wouldn't hurt my carpets. I had someone to help me load it back in, so I didn't have to take the guts out to get it back in the truck. If I had to do so, I probably would have needed to wait another half hour for the fire ring and firebox to cool enough to pull them out.

Hope this is helpful,

-John

Comments

• Jai-Bo
    Jai-Bo Posts: 584
    Options
    Hey, ifin it works fer ya, that's great!!! Not something I would wanna do alot though. ;)
    Hunting-Fishing-Cookin' on my EGG! Nothing else compares!
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    You did a lot of people a favor by sharing that info.

I'm too old and lazy to do that anymore so I just take photos of my Eggs. It's a lot easier.

Spring "Wanna See My Eggs" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,504
    Options
    Morning John:

Great pics to show the right way to do it.

Here are my two Large Eggs in the back of a Honda CR-V...
    S100109-04.jpg

totally surrounded...
    S100109-02.jpg

One suggestion...get some welders gloves or something so that after you remove the lump at the end of the day, you CAN remove the fire ring & fire box...the Egg will cool down a lot quicker with those items out.

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL