Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Penzey's

Options
evenwhenitsraining
evenwhenitsraining Posts: 75
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anyone else on this forum dedicated Penzey's fans? I am. I just started using BBQ 3000 and I'm pretty excited about it. I'm doing a rib roast today. Should I use traditional English rub (bay, celery salt, etc.) or should I use the BBQ 3000.

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I'm not familiar with either rub mix, but I looked at the ingredients if BBQ 3000, and noticed it had encapsulated smoke. I've tried a couple of mixes that have had encapsulated smoke, even bought a bottle of pure smoke. After a few uses I decided that it was over-kill. Fine for something made over gas, or in an oven, but a bit much for something cooked with lump. Also, and this may just be me, but it didn't seem very subtle. Not as bad as liquid smoke, but still obtrusive.

Myself, I'd go with the English.

Lots of folks like Dizzy Pig rubs. They make a Montreal style rub, "Raisin' the Steaks," and on called "Cowlick." I like mixing them 3 parts Raisin' to 1 cowlick for beef.
  • Jolly Bill Barker
    Options
    I am a huge fan of theirs! This is the best store in the world if you are into making your own rubs from scratch. You can get just about everything you need for all sorts of rubs.

I am a big fan of their cajun style seasoning I use this on steaks, pork, chicken and fish. My go to for all sorts of things.

The North Woods is the best for camp style potatoes just sprinkle some on top and let them bake. I use this too with anything that calls for a can of cream of mushroom soup or cream of chicken soup. Read here Pot Luck events.

The English rub is great too.

The Tandoori Curry blend is too good. Cut Zucchini in half and sprinkle this on the cut side with a little salt, grape seed oil and put it on the egg.

My secret ingredient I get from them is the Aleppo peppers. IMHO the best pepper out there to shake onto pizza and to put into Italian red sauces.

Try egging some Italian sausage chop it up and add to any store bought sauce. Throw in about 2 teaspoons of the Aleppo and you will have a great easy red sauce.
  • Jolly Bill Barker
    Options
    Also if you like making your own rubs like I do you can buy turbinado sugar at The Fresh Market grocery stores.
  • Unknown
    Options
    with the exception of dizzy pig my cupboard are full of penzeys stuff..
    save the bbq 3000 for bbq and go traditional.
    i agree with gdenboy about the smoke flavored products.. i cleaned the spice/rub/sauce cabinet of all products containing smoke flavor,, i want smoke i got an egg and a shelf full of smoke wood
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Bg Fan of Penzey's here. Have never used the BBQ stuff but have tied much of their product line. It is all high quality.
  • ShortRIb
    ShortRIb Posts: 88
    Options
    Its all I use.
  • evenwhenitsraining
    Options
    @ Jolly Bill, I am also a huge fan of the Aleppo peppers for shaking on pizza and pasta, however, I still like the flavor of crushed red peppers for Arabbiata or Puttanesca sauces. 
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Options
    I love Penzeys, but I don't use their BBQ rubs.  I get most of my spices there.  I use their fajita seasoning on my fajitas.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• BuckeyeBob
    BuckeyeBob Posts: 673
    Options
    Also a big fan of Penzeys. While I haven't tried many of their rubs, since I make my own, I use their spices for all my cooking. We especially love their Cajun and taco seasonings as neither one has any or very little salt. Even better if you have a store near you to avoid the shipping.

Buckeye Bob
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • stilllaughing
    Options
    I use some DP products personally but all of my spices and rubs for our business come from Savory Spice Shop www.savoryspiceshop.com out of Denver. They have one of the best collections of salts, curries and peppers I've ever seen. There's nothing at all wrong with Penzey's but our customers noticed immediately when we switched over to Savory's smoked Mexican and jerk rubs. They had their own show on the Food Network along with being feaured on others as well. But even though the owner is a diehard Cubs fan we've been with them since almost the beginning.