Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Buckboard bacon and different cuts of meat

Options
Tennisbum
Tennisbum Posts: 228
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Got my second attempt in the fridge right now. Have been using pork loin. I know some of you have used pork butt and beef. My question is what cuts of beef do you use to make bacon? And are there any other meats that would be good bacon?
thanks
gp

Comments

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    I am actually doing my second cure as well. First was fabulous(loin), this a belly.
    Not sure cured beef would be considered bacon......
  • berrygood
    berrygood Posts: 372
    Options
    I have cured pork butt and I am currently doing belly for the second time. Someday, I suppose I'll try pork loin, but I have never heard of bacon made from beef. Thirdeye has some great thoughts on his website.
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    I'm doing my second round also. I am by myself, so I don't want to make large quantities, so I have been using pork tenderloin. It is wonderful. :P
    I want to do a Butt and will probably use half for pulled pork the other half for bacon :)

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    You can make turkey bacon, but it often comes out more like turkey jerky since you are working with slices of meat..... but it's a real low fat alternative.

The belly cuts like flank steak or skirt steak work for beef bacon. London broil is handy as it's the right thickness, but it's very low in fat.

You can buckboard a pork tenderloin, here are some pieces next to the slices of a fatty. It's low in fat too. So low in fact that you have to add some butter when warming it up in a skillet.

fatTD1DSC06946.jpg

7ea1b58e.jpg

1b30387d.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery