Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

URGENT..Mahi Mahi recipe?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Having the wife's boss and husband over for dinner Sat. night and was needing your best Mahi Mahi recipe. We caught it last weekend so its fresh. Any other ideas for side items will help too! Trying to get the her the raise that she deserves!!!!Thanks in advance for your help!

Comments

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    Breckenridge,
    There a lot of recipes, but simple lemon, pepper and butter over hot coals is good.[p]My favorite fish.[p]CWM

• Unknown
    Options
    Need your recipe....bad! Not a big cooker of fish on the egg. Come on brotha-eggs and fee-mow-eggs, I need some help. My wife needs a raise!!!! Yip Yip Yo-ray! HELP>>>
  • Steve-B
    Steve-B Posts: 339
    Options
    Breckenridge,[p]I have never grilled Mahi-Mahi before, but have eaten it before in restaurants. Everytime I have gotten Mahi-Mahi it has had some sort of glaze on it. I think this is important since it is so low in fat, unlike salmon. Does this help?[p]Steve-B
  • Luvmyegg
    Luvmyegg Posts: 86
    Options
    Breckenridge,[p]Mahi mahi is a fish from Hawaii so I think preparing it with an Asian flair might be nice.

Mahi Mahi with Mango-Cucumber Salsa

Slice a few lemons thinly and place on the grill to act as a bed for the Mahi mahi. This way the fish does not stick to the grill. Brush fish with olive oil and season with salt and pepper before grilling. Depending on the thickness of the fish grill at 400 - 425 for 15-20 minutes.[p]Mango Cucumber Salsa[p]1/2 cup ripe small diced Mango
    1/2 cup small diced Cucumber
    1 Tbsp. Chopped Cilantro
    1 Tbsp. chopped green onion
    2 Tbsp. rice vinegar (unsweetened)
    2 Tbsp. sugar
    1/2 Tbsp. Mirin (in Asian markets)
    1 Tbsp. vegetable oil[p]Prepare some rice (Uncle Ben's works well because the grains remain separated. Mix some thinly sliced green onions with the rice.[p]Presentation - Mound rice in center of the plate. Place fish on top of rice and spoon salsa over the fish. [p]Some sauteed green beans or Haricoverts would be pretty as well on the plate.[p]This is good over salmon or swordfish as well.[p]Good luck with the raise!![p]

• Kris in Fl
    Kris in Fl Posts: 38
    Options
    Luv myEgg,
    Yum, this sounds nice... I will try it![p]Breckenridge,
    I usually use a butter, garlic, parsley, & various seasoning to create a "paste" while cooking - then experiment with different sauces or salsas for plating.
    Below is a simple capers sauce I use on occasion:

4 tbsp. Butter (real butter)
    1 1/2 tbsp. lemon juice
    1 tbsp. Capers (drain)
    1 tsp. chopped parsley (fresh)
    Pepper to taste[p]Melt butter. Add lemon juice, capers, parsley and seasonings. Heat until sizzling. Plate with broiled or grilled fish.[p]I like to serve fresh salad greens or sauteed spinach and hot fresh bread… don’t forget the Chardonnay![p]Good Luck!
    Kris

• Unknown
    Options
    Breckenridge, I do Mahi all the time, buy frozen filets from Sams and Costco. It is my favorite fish. I like to season it with butter and lemon/pepper and grill it for about 5 minutes per side. It is also very good blackened, I sear it in a cast iron pan and transfer to egg. Good sides for mahi are yellow and zuchinni squash, mixed in with some sauteed onions and bell peppers. I tend to not use sauces on mahi. It is a very mild fish with alot of good taste, very tender. I think it tastes quite good on its own but any of the aforementioned sauces sound awful good. Serve on a bed of rice and she should have that raise.