Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoking WHOLE Salmon

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I tried this before...and flopped. But this time I will be without the company of Mr. Beer and want to get it right.
I have a 6.6 lb whole salmon that I will be smoking. I have no alder, but some chunk o cherry. Will cherry wood be ok?
Also, what about puting seasonings on the fish...what do u reccomend?
And finally how long do u think it will take at 220?
Thanx for the help.
ST

Comments

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    Smkin' Todd,[p]Hey, I'm probably too late for this, my guess is that you cooked on Sunday. My brother had a baby this weekend so I was detained at the hospital a bit as the new uncle. Life is great.[p]Anyway, I use cherry wood to smoke my salmon and its awesome. Not nearly as bitter as mesquite makes it in my opinion. The whole salmon will be great, just head it, clean it and scale it and its ready to go. I would do it indirect at 220 and would plan on about 4-5 hours. Dont dry it out. I did two fillets this weekend, skin on, indirect, that I did for 4 hours @ 225-250 and it was about 1/2 hour too long but they were out of this world. Check out the post above. Get ready for some good eats. Good luck, if I haven't missed the cook already.[p]Troy