Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thickness of stone

saintpaulpuck
saintpaulpuck Posts: 5
edited November -1 in EGG Table Forum
Is there a rule of thumb to the thickness of the stone that the egg sits on? I went with a piece of slate but it's only a 1/2 inch thick. Is this too thin?

Comments

• BBQMaven
    BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    The stone is to keep the direct heat from the wood under it... I wouldn't worry about 1/2 slate ONLY if you have the Egg raise off the stone with "feet" or some other objects. The trick is to have an air gap between the bottom of the Egg and the stone.

You could measure the temp of the slate while cooking (say and hour or two into the cook) to determine how much heat is actually being transferred.
    Kent Madison MS
  • Reverend BSB
    Reverend BSB Posts: 157
    For the first year I had my egg I just had it on the feet directly over the wood and had no problems. Later I switched to a paver to keep the egg from sliding off the feet if I moved the table. Now that I have the table in a permanent spot I use the feet again with a piece of ceramic tile under them for looks.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    SPP,

You should be okay. I would just monitor it with your fingers over the next couple months. If you can't touch it, cuza heat, it should be thicker and maybe concrete.

I grew up in EP and played puck most of my life. :)