Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Safe Marinate Times

Options
mollyshark
mollyshark Posts: 1,519
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I got another of those yummy eye-of-round roasts (becoming a favorite) and stuck it in a bag with the olive oil/lemon/whatever marinade last night. Intentions of cooking it this evening (happy mom's day to meeee). Then my ex (of all things) invites me over for chicken fried steak for a mom's day treat (weirder things have happened). That is the one thing I can't make on the egg! So I said ok. Now question is..how long can I keep Senor Roast in that bag in the frig before it goes either toxic or just is gonna taste like hell? Can it make it till Monday night (soaking since Sat night) or should I cook him and just have cold roast sandwiches (with lots of horseradish..yum)?

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    MollyShark,
    Don't think it will be a problem safety-wise, but I would be concerned about the long-term effect of the lemon juice on the meat. Maybe rinse it off after 24 hours, and refrigerate again. My gut feeling anyway.[p]Eye-round roast sounds great. Happy Mothers Day!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    MollyShark,
    You do need to eat Lunch, so it may as well be an Egg Lunch. Since the Ex was kind enough to invite you over for treat, then you could bring him an egg treat. You could cook it over direct heat, if you have a polder. Turn it every half hour or so. It should be done in about one and half hours. I am assuming that the roast is on the smaller side. You will get a nice crust on the outside of the meat.[p]When I make Jerk Pork, I marinade the meat for at least two days. I am not sure how long you can keep beef in a marinade.[p]Happy Grilling,
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• Grillin' Bill
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    I agree with NB. Safety is not the issue, but what it might taste like being in the marinade so long. I would take out of marinade, pat dry with paper towels and then wrap in plastic wrap, then back in frig. Or cook sooner, put in frig and slice later.[p]

• Hog Wild
    Hog Wild Posts: 8
    Options
    MollyShark,[p]I left a thick sirloin in a marinade (equal parts of olive oil/lemon juice/lite soy sauce) for about a day and a half with no ill effects. I think the lemon juice started to break down the steak, or at least the fat, because there was a layer of fat that formed on top of the marinade. The steak turned out great! Depending on the size and thickness of the roast, I think it will be fine, but if you don't want to take any chances, follow Nature Boy's advise.[p]Good Luck.