Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tator Tot Casserole

cleinen
cleinen Posts: 102
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
A simple recipe I thought I would give a try on the egg.
DSCN0307.jpg
First I browned the hamburger and onions in the dutch oven.
DSCN0308.jpg
I then mixed the green beans and soups together.
DSCN0309.jpg
I layed the hamburger in the bottom of the pan then pour my mixture over and top with tator tots
DSCN0311.jpg
I cooked for about an hour at 350. I think I should have cooked it longer.
DSCN0313.jpg
DSCN0314.jpg

It was good and the tator tots picked up a slight smokey taste to them.

Comments

• ChargerGuy
    ChargerGuy Posts: 357
    I have to give you an A for creativity!!! It looks sort of like a strange version of shepards pie. :laugh: And strangley enough I think I would like to try it!
  • mnwalleye
    mnwalleye Posts: 226
    Looks good. I need to try it when I'm not so busy catching them big fish.
  • Spring Hen
    Spring Hen Posts: 1,578
    I think I heard Lawn Ranger's heart skip a beat :laugh: I agree it looks like Sheperd's pie. I think this would be a good one to try. Good job.
    Judy
    Covington, Louisiana USA
  • Lothar
    Lothar Posts: 30
    I make the same casserole, sans cream of mushroom, but I've never made it in the egg.

Just made a pot roast in the egg yesterday. That was my first venture with my dutch oven in the egg. Green bean casserole just may be #2. Unless I make the peach cobbler that I saw posted on here earlier.
  • berrygood
    berrygood Posts: 372
    My cardiologist would scold me just for looking.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    cleinen,
    :laugh: Great cook man. I laugh at the replys. They don't know we ALL cook that baby. Isn't MN the casserole capital of the world? B)
  • Basscat
    Basscat Posts: 803
    :) The signature Pot-Luck dish of a dear friend of mine (a retired Lutheran minister). Bet it's awesome on the Egg!
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    I was going to say, and still am, great cook besides just the normal chicken or ribs most new Egger's do judging by your post numbers. Then I looked close at your Egg. This an't one of your first cooks!! :laugh:
  • cleinen
    cleinen Posts: 102
    I have been egging for almost 5 years I think. I lurked for awhile and even now I guess I just don't post a ton.
  • kook
    kook Posts: 14
    I make something similar. Tots on bottom, mix meat with 2 cans cream of anything soup and 3/4 cup milk. Cover tots. Top with cheese. Cover with foil, 350 for 30 minutes, uncovered for 30 more minutes.

Gonna have to try adding the green beans for sure!!

I've also substituted ground venison mixed with ground bacon ends/pieces.
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    hey i have made that before i have never put green beans in to it.. but basacilly the same recipe.. i use sharp cheese and i use enough of it to cover up the totsd but here is a photo

eggin001.jpg

sorry the photo is soooo old :(

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• mnwalleye
    mnwalleye Posts: 226
    It was one of my fav lunches in grade school.