Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hamburgers On the EGG tonight!!!!

masonegg
masonegg Posts: 20
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
They will be good on the EGG rather than the stove, i hope.

Comments

• Sooner Egg
    Sooner Egg Posts: 578
    we're doing cheeseburgers on the small egg tonight....the egg cooks the best burgers, you will not be disappointed....you'll never cook them on the stove again IMO :)

DSC01104.jpg
  • Mark0525
    Mark0525 Posts: 1,235
    It will be night and day :) juiciest burgers I've ever had.
  • bigmike55
    bigmike55 Posts: 39
    My wife got me a large BGE for my birthday last week, and I have cooked burgers with it twice. They are so much better than what I used to cook on my gas grill.

Mike
  • civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    Careful you don't overcook. If you have an instant read thermometer, use it until you get used to the high heat cooking.
  • EggHeadFred
    EggHeadFred Posts: 123
    The recipe I like is in the BGE book that came with your egg, Johnny-Boy Burgers. You can also find it on the BGE website under recipes. Good Luck
    Fred V. Smyrna,Ga.
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    The recipe I like is in the BGE book that came with your egg, Johnny-Boy Burgers.

Please help me understand that recipe. I tried it, never got the temp up to 650, but put on the burgers at 600. He called for 2 minutes, flip, 2 minutes, flip, 3-5 minutes. I gave them 2 minutes, 2 minutes, and a little less than 3, I think, and they were BLACK. Fortunately, my wife and I actually like burgers that are pretty charred on the outside, so we actually loved them :laugh: , but still, that wasn't what I was expecting. They were also way, way, way done on the inside, and not very juicy.

One thing I was wondering was whether I should have used leaner beef. I usually think 80/20 is best, but maybe in the Egg that's too much grease dripping down and burning back up again. Do you think that might have been my problem? Something else?

I was not surprised reading lots of posts on this forum where people were suggesting temps in the 400s rather than the 600s. I'd be interested in anything anyone can tell me about best ways to do burgers in the Egg.

Thanks!

Theophan
  • EggHeadFred
    EggHeadFred Posts: 123
    Theophan, you might want to check your dome thermomenter for calibration. I have done this recipe meny times using 80/20 and it turns out great.
    Fred V. Smyrna,Ga.
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    I'll definitely give that a shot. I'm a little uncertain about how to adjust it if it's off, but I'm guessing it'll be fairly obvious when I pull it out and look at it.

Thanks!

Theophan
  • Jai-Bo
    Jai-Bo Posts: 584
    I cook my burgers at 350-400...I make Bubba Burgers!
    I use Rotel Tomatoes/Slap ya Mamma/garlic/onion/crushed up baco(bacon bits)/egg/Mojo or Terayaki marinade.

Mix it w/ about 3-4 lbs of deer burger and make 1/2 lb burgers. Usually takes 12-14 minutes....
    Hunting-Fishing-Cookin' on my EGG! Nothing else compares!