Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

moving 2 larges 2k miles

Options
Angela
Angela Posts: 543
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I tend to not trust the professional movers with our 2 larges. One egg is in a nest, the other is in a table.

Need suggestions from those with experience with this. My husband is thinking of taking the tops off the eggs and transporting the eggs in the back of our full size SUV he will drive there. I'll be driving my car so space isn't an issue. We are renting a small trailer to take some things with us, but I am concerned that the trailer will bounce too much and the eggs might get damaged if they are in there so the SUV sounds like the safer plan.

We only have the original box for one of them.

ideas? suggestions?
Egging on two larges + 36" Blackstone griddle

Comments

• 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    I strap mine down in the back of my truck with everything out of the egg wraped moving blankets. Tim

There are others in here that move their eggs al lot more often than us.

000_1658.jpg

000_0780.jpg

000_0785.jpg
  • Unknown
    Options
    Arduinna, I would remove all of the interior parts and wrap them in either bubble wrap or old carpeting or some shock absorbing material, then put back in, I think as long as the parts are unable to shift around inside they should be fine. Of course this will not helf if they drop the entire egg... but barring that, you will be fine
  • FearlessGrill
    FearlessGrill Posts: 695
    Options
    I move my large 4-5 times a year for cooking at various events. I do so in the back of my SUV. I take the guts out to make it lighter to lift, put it in the truck, strap it to the back of my 2nd row seats, then put the guts back in (if you can't open the lid once it's in the truck, you can leave them out, but I like to put them in, as it keeps the center of gravity lower). I don't take off the tops or anything like that. Do take off your thermometer so you don't accidently break it off if you hit something while carrying it (said from experience).

You can also make a simple travel box for them that will keep them upright in the car, and make it easier to carry them. Jlockhart posted one yesterday for his small that is easy to build and looks nice.

Good luck with the move. Where are you relocating to?

-John
  • Angela
    Options
    We are moving to Baton Rouge, Louisiana.

Didn't think about strapping them down. I'll have him read this thread and look at the pics you guys posted.

As far as taking the tops off, he was concerned that the top would move, but I can see strapping them the right way alleviates that issue.
  • JBUG99999
    JBUG99999 Posts: 263
    Options
    We are finishing up our "Egg Crate" and plan to move it as a practice run this weekend for the real deal next weekend. Not sure when your move is scheduled, but if our plan works ok, we'll share more details then....

Good luck!
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Arduinna,

If you are using movers from a valid van line, which you probably are moving that far, you should trust their ability. They are fully insured and any claims would be settled immediately. If you are driving in a closed vehicle with eggs that long it will get pretty stinky. I was involved with United Van Lines for years and they are really well trained.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• BBQMaven
    BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    Options
    Don't over-think this... the Egg will travel fine if it strapped down. You don't need to take the lid off or remove the guts... Pick them up with a PotLifter and secure them to keep from shifting.
    Kent Madison MS
  • Angela
    Options
    I'll have to check the insurance, because I thought they said they would only reimburse us based on weight. IE xyz per pound.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    I moved my first egg from Stockton, CA to Kittrell, NC. (2,600+ miles) It was strapped into the Ryder truck in the nest.

It survived an accident in Bakersfield. However, it didn't survive me taking it off the truck.. BGE help me put it back together again, but if I had let a professional mover do the packing and unpacking of the truck I am sure they would not have had to help me fix it and it wouldn't have cost me extra money to buy the parts that broke.

Somethings should just be left to people who do what you are attempting all the time.