Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How to Liven up Chicken Breasts

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've only been a egghead for a couple weeks and have only had one bad experience (undercooked burgers). So far, it has been a great learning experience. Still experimenting with direct vs indirect heat and cooking temps on my small Egg. [p]Any ideas how I can liven up some plain old boneless/skinless chicken breasts? I have a good supply of spices/rubs/oils etc. in the spice cabinet and hickory, mesquite, and cherry wood chunks to work with. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Tonight's company is not too big on "spicy" food so cajun type dishes are out. Please be as specific as possible with cooking temps/times.[p]Folks here seem very helpful, so I am excited to hear back from y'all.[p]-Newgene

Comments

• Jopa
    Jopa Posts: 155
    Options
    Newgene,
    I just did some Sunday, split breast and add prosciutto, and sharp provolone or sharp vermont cheddar.Close and drizzle a good quality olive oil and season. I used a mixture of wild cherry and citrus chips mixed with the lump.Grill and at the last minuite add some cheese on top.I did post a picture Sunday night. Happy egging!

• Steve-B
    Steve-B Posts: 339
    Options
    ccb1a.JPG
    <p />Newgene,[p]I posted this a while ago, but can't find the orginal message. [p]"This is what I made for dinner last night. It was quite good. I used Dizzy Pig's Red Eye Express on the chicken. It was a great flavor with the cheese and ham, but I put it on little heavy.[p]I smashed a chicken breast down to about a 1/4 inch. 3 minutes direct at 400° then flipped and 2 more minutes. Then I placed the ham and cheese on top and let it go until the cheese was melted (~1 more minute) I think a dijon sauce of some kind would of been good between the chicken and the ham. If any one has suggestions let me know."[p]

• Steve-B
    Options
    ccb2.JPG
    <p />Steve-B,
    One more photo:

• Jopa
    Jopa Posts: 155
    Options
  • Unknown
    Options
    Jopa,
    Whoa, you got stomach growlin'! Thanks for the replies everyone, love all the pics too!

• James
    James Posts: 232
    Options
    Newgene,[p]I do something quite similar to Steve-B, but instead of ham, I do some sauted onions and muchrooms to put over the cheese.[p]Also, I don't know what kind of cheese he used, but I've used both swiss and Mozerella, and both are great, but I think I like the swiss more.[p]I Also slice the chicken breasts before I cover them with cheese. The onions and mushrooms are the last to go on.[p]Sorry, no pix...[p]
  • Steve-B
    Options
    James,[p]Sorry it was Mozerella cheese. [p]I really like your idea! You could also serve that on a hogie bun.
  • BluesnBBQ
    BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
    Options
    Newgene,[p]Buy and cook thighs instead. They're cheaper and have much more flavor. :)
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    ddchicken01.jpg
    <p />Newgene,
    Dizzy Pigitize them. Swamp Venom is my favorite.
    Sometimes, I marinate in Wishbone Robust Italian Dressing.[p]CWM

• Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Options
    Newgene,
    To really moisten them and spice them up I like to use an all purpose marinade of:
    brown sugar
    catsup
    mustard
    balsamic vinegar
    soy sauce
    worchestershire
    coarse grind black pepper.[p]No magic numbers of each...just to taste. I think the balsamic is the key. Just the right tang to go with the sweet.[p]I also like to do variations of this with chipotle peppers and adobo sauce for wings. It also works great on pork chops.[p]Mike

• BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    Options
    Lawn Ranger,
    I would certainly hate to go against any of the Dizzy Pig inclusive recipes below, but you really hit it with the balsamic marinade. That has to be my favourite 'new' flavour.... it's so complex, yet so universal... I recommend everyone have a good balsamic vinegar in their repertoire of seasonings/spices/marinades! I've gotten to the point where I even drizzle it on those kettle-fried potato chips! I was at a restaurant recently and had char-grilled squid with balsamic drizzled on top and it was outstanding! Something for NB to try, fer sure!
    Qfan

• Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Options
    BBQfan1,
    I agree wholeheartedly...I love the stuff, and you don't have to spend an arm and a leg to get some really good Balsalmic.[p]Mike

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    BBQfan1,[p]The beauty part of chicken breasts is they are so incredibly neutral.[p]I like to marinate them in a mixture of lime juice and ginger, with a little sugar to cut the tartness and heat.[p]They're also good if you make a small batch of margaritas (your favorite recipe) and marinate them in that.[p]If you want to play with chilis, try a can of mild chilis in the blender with 2 tablespoons each oil and white vinegar.[p]Finally, you can't go wrong with 2 ounces white wine, 1 ounces lime juice, and 3 ounces olive oil. To this add a generous helping of bruised mint, half a medium onion, chopped and about a half-teaspoon each of salt and pepper.[p]As far as cooking, I really like to crank the Egg to 650 degrees plus. Oil the grid well and put the breasts on for 2 to 3 minutes per side.[p]Ken
  • Chef Wil
    Chef Wil Posts: 702
    Options
    Steve-B,
    try 1/2 dijon mustard and 1/2 sour cream, you can sub the sour cream for heavy cream or cream fraiche

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    chicken%20breasts%20done.JPG
    <p />Newgene,[p]Here's a link to how I did these - simple but delicious.[p]TRex
    [ul][li]Chicken Breasts[/ul]
  • Yazoo
    Yazoo Posts: 145
    Options
    Marinate a pack of 3-4 boneless skinless chicken breasts for at least 2 hours in...[p]6 Tablespoons soy sauce
    2 Tablespoons dark brown sugar
    2 Tablespoons sesame seeds
    4 cloves finely diced garlic
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper[p]Grill to perfection. Great as an entree or makes a good sandwich.

• pointer
    pointer Posts: 41
    Options
    BBQfan1,
    Try taking a bottle of Balsamic Vinegar, pour into a sauce pan and cook over med/low heat till it is reduced. (Syrup consistancy) then serve over a Trex Steak. This is my favorite meat sauce![p]

• James
    James Posts: 232
    Options
    Steve-B,[p]You can indeed do that., but that would be a sandwich.. :-)[p]