Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Enlightenment....Huge Apology

Lawn Ranger
Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
First, a huge apology to the Sirloin gods. The sirloin that I did tonight was incredible! I T-Rex'ed it right alongside a highly marbled New York Strip, and believe it or not, it was as good , if not better. I watched it a little closer, but the process was the same. BTW, the sirloin was only 3/4" thick.[p]Thirty years ago my Dad only grilled sirloin, and I thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. Then I grew up and became "enlightened". Back then my Mom ran the office for a meat packer...do you suppose they knew something???[p]Anyway, it was great! Thanks to everyone who set me straight.[p]Mike

Comments

• Crab leg
    Crab leg Posts: 291
    Lawn Ranger,
    Would you say it was better because of taste, or texture, or both, or what? I have been a huge ribeye fan for years, and was about to pick up a sirloin at sams last week because of the comments here, but it was only $1.00 less than ribeyes, so I went with the ribeye. I guess I need to try the sirloin, but your comments would be appreciated.
    Seth

• Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Crab leg,
    Everything was good, taste as well as texture, especially considering the relative non-existence of marbling.[p]I seasoned with Dizzy Pig Cow Lick and a bit of kosher salt and let it sit for a while wrapped in butcher paper. Started searing at about 650 for only about 30 seconds per side. Let it rest for 18 min. and put back on at 400 and watched closely from then....a couple of more minutes per side...then checked...and then one or two more to Mama's taste.[p]Mike

• Crab leg
    Crab leg Posts: 291
    Lawn Ranger,
    Thanks, I will give it a try.
    Seth