Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost football season, so we’re perfecting our favorite tailgating and homegating recipes! Whether you like hamburgers, wings, brats, ribs or something cooked with beer, we have everything you’ll need for the perfect tailgate party. We always like inviting friends to join our tailgates because the EGG is about community and having fun, so make sure if you’re inviting company you make extra - the food will be gone before you know it! Don't forget dessert, either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

The "I Love You" on Linux

mollysharkmollyshark Posts: 1,519
edited 2:44PM in EggHead Forum
Stolen from my database newsgroup...but couldn't resist given the concern we had on the original:[p]This is the Linux version of 'I Love You' which works on the
honor system.[p]If you receive this mail, you should delete a bunch of GIFs,
MP3s and binaries from your home directory, and send a copy of this e-mail to everyone you know.

Comments

  • GfwGfw Posts: 1,598
    MollyShark, if I were going to take the time to write virus (which I wouldn't), why would I write it for an operating system that only about 2% of the computers use - I might as well go after the other 98%. Just a thought![p]In it's short time out (article as of the middle of last month) 1.5% of all Internet users have already upgraded to Windows 2000.
  • CornfedCornfed Posts: 1,324
    Gfw,[p]If the virus for Linux is anything like much of the other software for Linux, you'll need to read the email, save the attachment, run gunzip filename on it, then tar -xvf filename, then if it's Red Hat specific (which much new Linux stuff is since it's the biggest distro) rpm -uvh filename on it.[p]After this, you'll have to find the executable and run it and watch it not work.[p]I'm a Linux user and like it more than M$ Windoze, but I definitely recognize its shortcomings. The cool thing is if you're running Linux as a user instead of as root, the worst that can happen is that data files will be lost. It's pretty hard to write a virus in Linux that supercedes Unix user protection levels if it's running as a regular non-superuser.[p]Cornfed (president and CEO of Geeks-R-Us)
  • CornfedCornfed Posts: 1,324
    Cornfed,[p]Oops. Had too many "barley pops" tonight. Did too much "scanning" and sadly didn't realize the sarcastic nature of MollyShark's post. Yeah, reading an email then purposefully deleting a bunch of files would pretty much do it![p]As for upgrading to Winslows 2000, there is no virus more dangerous than this choice![p]Geekfed
Sign In or Register to comment.