Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Happy Mothers Day + Brief Intro + Dinner Pics

Vincent ChaseVincent Chase Posts: 149
edited 8:22PM in EggHead Forum
First off, a very Happy Mothers Day to all the great moms on the forum. Hope your day was special!

About me:
I've been mostly a lurker on this forum for a few years, with a few posts under my belt but can't say I've reciprocated the help and knowledge shown here and would like to be a bit more active in posting Egged dinners and sharing my experiences on what worked/what I'd do differently next time.

I know a lot of people enjoy giving intros, so I'll give a quick run down on me: I bought my Egg a few years ago, thanks in part to the $600 stimulus check that were issued and have never looked back. It's also really propelled my interest in cooking, and I've gotten pretty passionate about food since owning it. Most of my free time is watching Food Network or Top Chef or scouring this forum as well as other recipe databases and blogs. What I like most about the Egg (excluding the food), is the level of difficulty and time that goes into long cooks. I know, I know, if you get the fire right the Egg does the hard work, but I don't think most people are willing to invest the time it takes to make a great meal and I've gotten a lot of satisfaction at the end of a long cook. As far as personal things, I live in Western MA, work for a milk production/dairy plant, and bought my first house this past October.

Today's cook:
I lost my mom to cancer in October of 08, but I had a few family members over today to still celebrate the day. Everyone had been asking me to make ribs, so I did two racks of baby backs with the Bone Suckin Sauce rub, and one rack with DP Red Eye, which I prepared the night before with mustard as the binding agent. I did an inverted plate setter with a drip pan, set the grid temp to 225 and let that ride for around three hours. I foiled for about an hour after that, than uncovered them and sauced at around five and a half hours. Everyone devoured them, and said they were better than the ones at Famous Dave's. I've had a tendency to overcook my ribs to the point where the bones fall out when you try to pick them up, but these had a great bite-through quality and I was pleased.

Finished prepping one of the racks the night prior:
IMG_0128.jpg

I had to layer some of the ribs on top of each other, which I don't think really hampered any results:
IMG_0137.jpg
IMG_0133.jpg

Sauced up with my favorite, Blue's Hog:
IMG_0145.jpg

Some finished/plated pics. These were a hit!
IMG_0146.jpg
IMG_0150.jpg
IMG_0149.jpg

Thanks for reading!

Comments

• HossHoss Posts: 14,600
    VERY NICE post! Welcome.Please become more involved! :)
  • Roll TideRoll Tide Posts: 505
    Looks great. Hope to see many more posts/pics in the future.
  • 'Q Bruddah'Q Bruddah Posts: 739
    What Hoss said. Don't be bashful, most of us are right friendly. We like pictures of food and some flowers but not all flowers. Glad to have you cookin' with us.
  • Those look beautiful and I am not a rib person. Welcome back and don't be shy about posting.

Faith
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 6 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone eLse does!

3 Large, 2 Smalls, 1 well-used Mini
  • Great lookin ribs!
  • Welcome aboard, passion is the number one ingredient around here, glad to see you've got it. Oh yeah, nice looking ribs.

Doug
  • Lawn RangerLawn Ranger Posts: 5,466
    Welcome.

Nice shots!
  • Car Wash MikeCar Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Nice ribbies. Got to love that Blues Hog.
    MIke
  • EggSimonEggSimon Posts: 422
    eggcelent bones, buddy !