Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

freezing steaks

Options
skihorn
skihorn Posts: 600
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My local Kroger had a very good sale price on ribeyes cut to any thickness. My butcher was suggesting I buy a bunch and freeze them. Certainly makes sense from a cost perspective and I do have a large freezer. However, I think of thick ribeyes as such a delicacy I worry about the impact.

Do you see any difference when freezing steaks after purchasing? Are there any particular tips to freezing (type of wrapping or seal) and or thawing the steaks to minimize any reduction in quality?

Freddie
League City, TX

Comments

• Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    Options

Hi Freddie

I freeze all my meats with my FoodSaver. I never have any problems with them. They come out just as they went in. If you do not have a FoodSaver I would double wrap in plastic cling film and heavy duty foil making sure to exclude as much air as possible as I wrap them.

Gator

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    Options
    probably too late now, but if we knew the rating of that meat we might be able to give you a better sugestion. Just remember even rib eye cuts can be found on cattle rated as cutters! OTOH if it was choice or better then you might want to say "hey butcherman - how much is a 12 to 16 pound piece of that sub-primal" and then try dry aging that beef!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    BARGAIN!!! Stock up!There are 2 ways to freeze steaks that will keep FOREVER and you will not be able to tell the difference in fresh! 1-Foodsaver bag em.#2-Wrap in plastic wrap then wrap that in Butcher paper.You MUST wrap in plastic wrap first.I have kept steaks and other stuff for over 3 years with no problems! ;)
  • Hoss
    Options
    Our Kroger has Choice Ribeye loins on sale for $5.97 /Lb. Sliced any way you want em, free!I buy the loin and slice it myself cause last time I told em 2 inch steaks they sliced em about 1-1.25 inches! :angry: Ruined a whole loin! :angry: The one I bought today had 2, 3inch steaks cut off each end.The rest is in the outside fridge,gettin happy for 28 days! ;) I T-rexed one of the 3 inchers for dinner tonite.YUM! B)
  • Unknown
    Options
    Wait, 3 inches thick?
  • Hoss
    Options
  • Unknown
    Options
    Hoss wrote:
    YES.

WOW. That's getting close to a cube of meat! :)
  • Hoss
    Options
  • Hoss
    Options
    It is sliced and served to multiple parties. :) Along with other goodies. :) I just like a BIG steak.One for me,one for the rest of em! :laugh:
  • skihorn
    skihorn Posts: 600
    Options
    Thanks for the advice guys. I am sure it is not prime. I will see if it is choice. What is the rating below choice?

In wrapping them should I wrap them each separately or two at a time as that is the amount I would usually be thawing and grilling?

I think the sale is good through Tuesday so I still have time.

Freddie
    League City, TX
  • Unknown
    Options
    Hoss,

We may not agree on all things but I know we agree that as far as steaks go, the bigger, the rarer, the better!

:)
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    Options

Hey Freddie,

I think they will defrost better if you freeze them individually. That's just a guess, I am single so mine are all done individually.

Gator

• BigA
    BigA Posts: 1,157
    Options
    Select is below choice. I dont have any problems with forzen steaks, i buy a whole beef 1 time a year, and it is all frozen when i get it and the steaks are sooooo good, yo wouldnt even tell that they came out of the freezer! The cow does have something to do with that though, i get a Limo/Angus Cross, the best that i have ever come across!!
  • kricks
    kricks Posts: 244
    Options
    Your best option is to cryovac them. Perhaps your butcher can use his. Other options are the foodsaver or better yet, the Sinbo device that is used with dry aging bags. Failing that, as others have noted, wrap first in plastic wrap and then foil.

As far as freezing itself, the faster you can get frozen the better. If your butcher can put them in his freezer that would be great. The reason is the faster it freezes, the smaller the ice crystals are. Smaller ice crystals mean less destruction of the meat fiber and better texture when they thaw. This also points to freezing individually for faster freezing and more flexibility later.

As far as thawing, the slower you thaw, the better you are. Again back to the ice crystals and the effect on the texture.

Waaayyyyyy too much Food Channel and Alton Brown knowledge here... but does help.