Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

DigiQ DX

Options
Battle
Battle Posts: 14
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Guys/Gals, just got the DigiQ DX. Used it to control the pit on baby backs and it worked great. I am now doing an all night pork butt. Have the pit set at 225 and the meat at 200. I am only a few hours into the cook and the pit is bouncing between 213 and 231. Is this normal?

Thanks in advance,

Battle in MN

Comments

• berrygood
    berrygood Posts: 372
    Options
    Set the guru damper to 1/4 open. Then adjust the daisy "petals" to even it out - for reference, my DFMT is almost completely closed at this point. Remember: the guru can't stop the temp from rising, so the idea is to set the airflow so that - without the guru - the temp would slowly drop. This forces the guru to control the temp.

You'll love it once you get the hang of it.
  • Battle
    Battle Posts: 14
    Options
    Thanks. I know I will love the guru once I become more familiar with it.

I do have the damper at about 1/4 and I have the daisy completely closed. I started the cook (10lb+ butt @9 pm central.) It's now almost 3 hours into the cook. The pit is bouncing between 216 and 219. I should be ok.
  • berrygood
    berrygood Posts: 372
    Options
    First off, most of the posters here would tell you to set your dome temp at 250. This will put your grid temp at 225-ish to begin with. As the cook progresses, the grid temp will edge closer and closer to that of the dome. (The inimitable Elder Ward does recommend lower temps as I remember, but I believe this line of thinking would put him in the minority).

But, if you want to achieve 225 at the grid, then open the DFMT slightly - maybe only 1/16 inches. Very minor adjustments like this will get you where you wanna be.

Again, though, at least consider bringing the dome to 250. Truthfully, you'll have an easier time maintaining the higher temp, plus the cook will be quicker and yield the very same results.

Good luck.