Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

tonight's dinner w/ pics . . .

Options
mad max beyond eggdome
mad max beyond eggdome Posts: 8,134
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
so i did a spatchcock chicken, rubbed the bird with olive oil and zatar, and roasted it indirect at 400 degrees with a little pecan wood.. . .

waldorf2010andotherstuff016.jpg

took a big yam and sliced it into planks, brushed them with a little olive oil as well and a nice sprinkle of dizzy pineapplehead rub. .. add them to the egg around the chicken for about 30 minutes, flipping after 15 ...and adding some cinammon/sugar the last 10 minutes. ...

waldorf2010andotherstuff015.jpg

waldorf2010andotherstuff021.jpg

here's the finished bird. .. .

waldorf2010andotherstuff022.jpg

and the plated dinner. .. . with a steamed artichoke as well. ...the chicken was really moist and great with the zatar....and the sweet-tater planks with pineapple head and cin/sugar are really good too!!!

waldorf2010andotherstuff023.jpg

Comments

• BigA
    BigA Posts: 1,157
    Options
    Nice cook, i just ate but it makes me hungry! :)
  • SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,504
    Options
    Morning Max:

Looking good (except for that green thing :lol: ). The sweet tator planks are so easy and good it should be against the law!

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Yummy Max!!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    you know jay, ever since you taught me about wokking the sweet taters (although i use apples where you use squash)...and now i'm adding pineapple head rub.. ..we eat them on a regular basis. ...i used to only them once a year on thanksgiving.. . ..now i either wok them, roast them on a pan, or do the planks. .. .and they are always great!! ....and yep, easy peasy!!!. ..
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    thnks molly. .. it was good. ..

hey, did you ever look back at the blood transfusion thread you started to see what we all wrote you? ...never did find out if you planned on donating, or if you need one?
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    then my work is done for the evening!1 :woohoo:
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    YUMMEEE!Great cook Max! :)
  • Unknown
    Options
    max, the yam planks rule, that is one of my favorites, & the way you did them is just perfect, I've been trying to work a way to do them better than the usual fry method & that just looks great, thanks, marc
  • ChargerGuy
    ChargerGuy Posts: 357
    Options
    Great Lookin Cook!
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    thanks zip. .. .if you line them up around the plate setter like that, they get the direct heat during an otherwise indirect cook...dome temp was around 400. . .flipped after about 15 minutes. ..nice and soft in the middle...and no burning on the surfaces.. ..just perfect. .. .
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
  • cookn biker
    Options
    I did check all the replies. Thank you. My oldest brother got one, just to make him 'feel' better. He is not producing good blood.He is going downhill.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    ooh, sorry to hear that. ...hope the thread eased some of your concerns then. . .and hope he is doing a little better. . .
  • cookn biker
    Options
    The thread was great and full of info that I needed to ease my troubled mind. He will go back to his care givers and hospice decisions are being made. Family is crazy...thought we were supposed to pull together...
    This too shall pass...
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • Woodbutcher
    Woodbutcher Posts: 1,017
    Options
    I guess I'll have to put the tater planks on the to do list. Great meal Max.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Thanks Max. Your cook looks very delicious. I see the technique you used to cook chicken indirect and at an offset time sliced yams direct. I'm sorry I hijacked you previous post. Tim