Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

dry aging which primal?

Options
triehle98
triehle98 Posts: 208
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just got my dry age bags and I am wondering which primal benefits the most from the aging process. I personally like the NYStrip . anyone here ever dry aged a NYStrip and a rib eye . which of these cuts would you try for your first attemp? Or should I do both and let yall know how it turns out? Thanks for any advice freinds

Comments

• Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Options
    I think you should do both and when I come to try them out I will rob your freezer of that sausage you have stock piled!!! :woohoo: :woohoo:
  • triehle98
    Options
    you wanna try some dry aged meat, I have an extra bag . Im going to Jerrys tomorrow to vacuum pack it . You should pick up a chunk o beef and meet me over there man or I will pick up some for ya.
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Options
    I appreciate it but I'm smack in the middle of my work week right now. I am interested in the results though. I'm gonna come see you one night when I'm off. Maybe Tues night.
  • triehle98
    Options
    come on whenever you can , I know how it is man. If im not here , help your self
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
  • LFGEnergy
    LFGEnergy Posts: 618
    Options
    I have dry aged both strips and ribeye, prime, from Costco. The Ribeye went about 24 days, and was flavorful...awesome. The aging really enhanced the flavor of the beef. Would go 35 days next time, for sure.

The strip (which I still have a few choice steaks in freezer) was not as much of a success (or let me say not as much of an improvement on flavor or texture). While you get some flavor enhancement in the strip, if I was going to put out the $$ for a primal and spend the 28 days (or more, I would go 28 days as a minimum) aging, then my recommendation is go with the ribeye. BTW, I forgo the bags and sit in my garage fridge, lower shelf, on a rack with trip tray, and (try to) forget it.

Good luck B) .

Dave in Keller, Texas
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    my experience to date has been 21 days for the NY strip and 28 days for a rib eye cut into steaks and 35 days for a rib eye cut into 4 big chunks for rib eye roasts. This week I started another rib eye that I am planning to let go 45 days. BTW did you buy a Sinbo vacuum?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • triehle98
    Options
    I didnt buy a sealer , luckily I have a friend with a meat processing business and I get to use his vacuum sealer. I'll post pictures of it later tonight . I think Im gonna do the ribeye and see what happens. Thanks for all the input yall
  • LFGEnergy
    LFGEnergy Posts: 618
    Options
    Would be interested in your opinion of 45 day ribeye. Keep us posted!

Thanks,

Dave in Keller, TX
  • kricks
    kricks Posts: 244
    Options
    I have been looking at dry aging and these posts have pushed me over the edge and more importantly convinced my significant other. My primal question is should I use prime or choice? Costco's sells both. Does aging push choice grade to prime quality? What does prime end up doing?
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    If I could find it I'd always choose prime - but I have to settle for what is available to me and that is choice. Your prime will have better marbling so right there alone it is worth it! But no amount of aging will turn a choice into prime, but it will make it a lot better!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • kricks
    kricks Posts: 244
    Options
    Ordered it today! I'll have dry aged steaks in 26 days!!