Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Who’s ready for football and tailgating? We are! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are great to bring to a tailgate, or cook at home if you’re entertaining friends during a game. If you need an easy breakfast recipe, these Sticky Buns are the way to go. If you’re looking for a fan favorite with bacon, try these Double Pork Sliders. We can’t wait to kick off another fall full of tasty food!

Coming to Atlanta for EGGtoberfest? Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340 - NOTE we are CLOSED on Saturday OCT 10th for EGGtoberfest.

HotwingkingHotwingking Posts: 183
edited 8:42AM in EggHead Forum
I have a 2.5 inch thick ribeye any cooking suggestions.
I have never cooked one this big!!! :woohoo:

• BigABigA Posts: 1,157
    cook direct at 500, depending on how well done you like it, sear for around 90 sec a side, then i shut down the grill and leave on for 5 min, cooks mine to meduim - to meduim well, most people on here are going to tell you that is way to done, but thats what i do B)
  • HotwingkingHotwingking Posts: 183
    Cool thanx!!! B)
  • with a really thick steak like that, cooking by searing alone will give you a charred exterior and a lot of "well done" surrounding a small medium-rare interior.

best approach is to divide and conquer.

a steak that thick is really a small roast. sear it, and separately roast it. or roast it, and then sear it.

see here for a coupla-few different approaches to the same problem
    >>> Trex/Xert/hot-tubbing
  • BigABigA Posts: 1,157
    stripstike - is right, i thought that said 1.5inch sorry you are going to want to cook them a little longer with the egg shut down, again depending on how you like your steak.
  • HossHoss Posts: 14,587
    Cook til 120 I.T.Remove,rest enjoy! :)
    I must concur......WAY TOOO DONE ;)
    Just cook it.400 dome til 125 I.T. works! ;) Don't overcook it.Youn can always throw it back on a couple minutes for the squimish, but you cannot uncook anything. Always pull steak @ 120,rest,serve! B)