Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dog training with BGE

Options
ngm
ngm Posts: 19
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
It all started with "Charcuterie", the book, that is. Got me into making my own bacon, and interested in smoking. And that pointed me in the direction of the BGE as a great all-in-one solution for smoking and grilling.

But it is expensive, and I wasn't sure if I should splurge on one. Everything I read was so unrelentingly positive...so I did my fail-proof test. This works with everything. If you want to know the worst about a brand, simply google "XYZ sucks", where YXZ is any product. Ford sucks. Toyota sucks. Mercedes sucks. And so on. I tried "big green egg sucks" and got a single solitary hit - some football forum where someone posted it as a joke to get the local egghead to respond!

So I was sold.

My wife's general disinterest in my little hobbies came in handy, as I was simply able to tell her after the fact I had bought a new grill. In fact, I was mostly finished building the table when I told her. Frankly, the table was pretty basic - cedar 2x4 and 1x6 with a few floor tiles set in the top, finished with a coat of Thompson's. And I am *not* a woodworker by any stretch. The table is a little rough, but will work fine. Anyway, she was unimpressed with the table and thought the whole thing silly.

The night I finished the table, the dog starts barking a little after midnight. My wife barely wakes up and says "Someone's stealing that amazing table!" She denies ever having said this, but people don't lie when they are talking in their sleep.

Fast forward to today. Egg was delivered yesterday and I put in in the table and wheeled it around to the patio. The cover was off, as I decided to play with temperature control before trying to cook anything.

The dog came outside and was immediately furious with this new intruder. Bounced around the egg barking and growling. Hair standing up on end. I went up to the egg and opened it a little, pretending to make it call out commands. "Sit!" "Down!" called out the egg. The dog was overwhelmed and obeyed without question - eyes submissively averted.

It smokes. It grills. It bakes. It exerts dominance over German Shepherd Dogs.

Comments

• Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    Dog training device! :woohoo: This will no doubt appear in BGE ads pretty soon! :P
    Wecome aboard!

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • maXim
    maXim Posts: 468
    Options
    Dogs are also great to clean the grid :woohoo:

DSC_0156.jpg

Welcome to the cult, I mean club!
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    Just wait till the dog sees what comes off the egg! mine lay by then every chance they get. and go check them just to make sure we have not snuck anything on when they were not looking LOL
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Welcome to the forum. Tim :woohoo:
  • WhackMaster719
    Options
    I know the feeling, my grillin partner is waiting her her share of the ribs that came off the other weekend...

2010-04-24165932.jpg
  • 'Q Bruddah
    'Q Bruddah Posts: 739
    Options
    What a great first post, Tim. You're going to fit right in. We've been lookin' for ya'. Welcome to the party.
  • pattikake
    pattikake Posts: 1,175
    Options
    Welcome to the forum, Great story. You will have to post pics of your table and your first cook. Congrats on your egg.

Patti
    Wichita, KS
  • Woodbutcher
    Woodbutcher Posts: 1,017
    Options
    Welcome. I hope to hear more about your dog training and your success with the egg. It's a great cooker and I'm sure that you made the right choice. We like pics!
  • LoneStarEgg
    LoneStarEgg Posts: 287
    Options
    awesome can I send my dog over for training? Welcome...
  • mkc
    mkc Posts: 544
    Options
    Our middle child (black and tan cocker spaniel) needs to explain to your german shepherd the value of the Egg.

Mr. Blue Dog goes NUTS when he sees us getting ready to Egg. He will jump onto the outdoor dining table to try and see in. His favorite "treat" is to help himself to licking the (cold) grate if I leave it within his reach.

gratecleaning%20001a.jpg

gratecleaning%20006a.jpg

-M
    Egging in Crossville, TN
  • ngm
    ngm Posts: 19
    Options
    Thank you all for the welcome.

Today was supposed to have been the day to actually cook something - but both children were home from school sick and wouldn't have enjoyed it. Then we had a thunderstorm for an hour before supper.

We all love shrimp skewers, so that will be my first.

I've enjoyed lurking in this forum and have picked up some great tips.

BTW, I love the use of the word "cook" as a noun - referring to the food that one has cooked. I found no reference to this usage in any dictionary. "cook" as noun is always a person who cooks, and not the food itself. Where does the use come from? I would imagine it comes from some part of the U.S. Is it common to use in print? Anyway, it's a great use of the word and it belongs in a dictionary.
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    I LOVE IT!! Just an exceptional great post for an intro. Dogs and Eggs just go togeather. I really look forward to future post and don't forget pics. We love pics hear. BTW Got a depot down on a male GSD from working lines out of Belgium. Stud is still there. West German sport dog. **** is in Penn. 1/2 West German sport and half DDR. Got to have something to keep my Eggs safe! :laugh:
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    I was told once I was eaiser to train than a dog. :( Talk about a wild ride to nowhere. :)

Mike
  • Spring Hen
    Spring Hen Posts: 1,578
    Options
    and just what is Mr. Jake going to say about this????
    Judy
    Covington, Louisiana USA
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    Same thing he says about Andy and Little Bit. "I'm the boss around hear and don't forget it!" :laugh: If I can teach two cats and working Labs to leave him alone A Shepherd should be a cinch! (famous last words) :whistle:
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    Great story. Welcome from Midlothian, Virginia!
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • Boilermaker Ben
    Boilermaker Ben Posts: 1,956
    Options
    Greetings, and welcome to the forum! Great introductory story. I'm looking forward to more of your posts.

I have a co-worker who is about to pull the trigger on an egg, but is paranoid that her dog (who chews up EVERYTHING, apparently) is going to damage her egg. I told her it would be like trying to bite a huge rock, but her response is, "oh, he chews on rocks all the time." We'll see...
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    I believe Buddy was getting ready to show me what he thought of the old weber kettle :blush::whistle:

101_2006.jpg