Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How much Brisket

Manfred
Manfred Posts: 186
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What is the ratio for raw or cook brisket to people?
I will be cooking for about 100 people.
I will be getting flats to cook.
I saw in a past post about 4-6 oz cook brisket per person.Also cooking 3 or 4 pork butts.
thank you for all and any help.

Comments

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    There is a link somewhere. I can't find it...tired. Someone will pipe in soon.
    Make sure you document with photos and share them.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Manfred
    To much food this weekend?
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Yes, in a good way though!! I'm uploading pics now. We stopped at a few BBQ joints and took back roads. Just terrific!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Manfred
    It is good to hear that you had a nice safe trip home
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    At 6 ounces of brisket per person (which makes a very nice sandwich) you will need about 37 pounds of cooked meat.

The actual numbers can be as high as 55% yield, but to play it safe use 45% or 50%. So using 50%, to get 37 pounds of meat, start with 74.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Manfred
    Thank you for the help. That is going to be alot of brisket. To cook that much on a LBGE Do I need to look at maybe 36 hours of cook time?
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Right, 100 people is a lot.

Are you thinking you can cook all 75 pounds at once? You will to do it in several cooks, cooking two at the same time.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Manfred
    no way. I am looking at cook two on the large and 1 on the medium.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Who are you feeding? What sides are going with this meat? Those butts you are cooking could be enough to feed 100 people?

74 pounds of brisket flats is a lot more than 3 briskets. Flats (even in texas) don't weight in at 25 pounds each. 75lbs of flats at the least you are looking at 8 flats and a few days of cooking..

If you are doing both brisket and pork you can cut back on both. Use 4oz as a serving unless you are feeding a bunch of linebackers. Since you are in Brisket country figure 75 of your guest will eat the brisket and 25% will eat the pork.

75 people eating brisket means 20 pounds cooked (rounded up) or 40 raw.

The pork will end up being 12 pounds.

With one egg you are still looking at a multi-day cook.
  • Manfred
    I am cooking for a wedding party that loves BBQ. I was thinking one day for 3 brisket and one day for pork butts and one brisket so that gives me 4 brisket and 4 butts.The sides are going to be normal sidea for a BBQ. Potato salad, and beans. I went to store last night to look at flats. They had 13 to 16 pound flats. If I can get four of the 16 pounder that will give 64 pounds raw. The pork buts were about 15 to 16 pounds per pack. So if I get two of those that will another 32 pounds raw. with a total of 96 pound of raw meat. I know this is going to be a big cook. What better way to spend a weekend setting in chair with a cold drink and the egg full of meat smoking.
    Willing to here any input.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Unless you have the ability to cook multi-tier you aren't going to be able to get more than one brisket that large in a large egg at a time. Even with a multi-tier you'll get 2.

Since you are essentially catering a wedding reception have you considered how you are going to keep all this meat warm. How are you going to reheat all the meat you are cooking? Brisket dries out fast, how do you plan on keeping it moist.

Lastly, Your guests may love BBQ, but you are trying to cook way too much meat for 100 people. Considering the guest. Some will be old and won't eat much, some kids and won't eat much. You will have sides that will cause people to eat less meat. The Drinks will be flowing causing people to eat less.

Take my word for this, Wedding Receptions are a caterers worse nightmare. You do not want to get this wrong.
  • Manfred
    BIG Thanks
    This wil make me think things over. I still have alot time before the wedding. I will be talking to the people and rethinking our plan. I going to ask some of the question you ask. again thanks for all the help.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Feel free to contact me off line
  • Manfred
    Will do Thanks again
  • BigA
    BigA Posts: 1,157
    Let me ask you, is this for the wedding or the grooms dinner?? My mom had a catering business and let me tell you this is something you might not want to tackel! It is carries a lot of stress if you haven't done it before! And yes it does sound like you have a little to much meat planned! Let me also tell you the brides dont want anything screwed up!!
  • Manfred
    This is going to a small informal type wedding. The bride ask me to cook the meet and that is all. Celtic wolf gave me some good help and question to ask. once I fine out the answer I will be getting back to him. This is why am asking now and why I put the question out to the eggheads out there. Thanks