Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gasket

Options
axelfoley
axelfoley Posts: 30
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi Guys and Gals

Thought I would post this for anyone who is changing gaskets. Having melted the crap out of my last gasket which must have toppped out at about 1000 degrees, I thought it time to change the gasket which would be the first time. I had a look on ebay and found a gasket with no backing tape on it and one that was rated at 1500F. I had heard that the Big Green Egg gasket had an issue with the backing tape not sticking. I had read that the Big Green Egg company had chosen the 3M Super 77 Spray as the brand of glue to use. I on the other hand had some doubts about using it and went looking for some alternatives. I have found that using the contact adhesive from Selleys seems like a good alternative. Firstly its not a spray and is applied with a spatula so there is a greater deal of control, and secondly it had a far higher temperture rating. So I gave this a go. For anyone moving the old gasket aawy from the egg, be warned there is no easy way to do this. You will loose an hour of your life that you will never get back!. I found that a razor blade and acetone helped but the best thing was a wire brush on a battery powered drill. This did not remove the grease and old glue, but took the old glue from the cracks an fissures in the eggs porcelain. Once this had been heated and brought back to the top of the egg due to the friction of the wire brush, a quick rub down with the acetone bought it up very clean. Some patience and the glue in hand and it went very well. I have cooked burgers tonight and the gasket is still there, Good luck in changing your gasket.

Comments

• luis70458
    luis70458 Posts: 48
    Options
    What is the name of the stuff that you used????
  • axelfoley
    axelfoley Posts: 30
    Options
    High Heat Gasket Kit

For Large, Med, and Small Eggs

Part # NMGKHDL

Replacement high heat gasket kits are available for all of the EGGs. They come with easy to follow directions and gasket material to cover the rim of both the Lid and the Base. The gasket material will melt at 1500°F so be sure and pay attention during high-temperature cooking.

company on ebay is called webercloseouts