Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

TX Eggfest--Thank You, BBQ Outfitters!!!

Options
Beanie-Bean
Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Some shots from the Texas Eggfest (click for slideshow) today.

Special thanks to BBQ Outfitters for their outstanding effort to get this all together for everyone!

So nice to see some familiar characters there, along with a bunch of new folks out to experience the BGE first-hand. I hope to see you guys again soon!

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Mike real good shots of today. It was good to see you once more. It has been to long seeing your posts :(
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• jnsloantx
    jnsloantx Posts: 10
    Options
    Here, here!!! A great time was has by all!

Thanks to all of the chefs! Now, we need recipes! There are lots of things I want to try!

Thanks to everyone who made it happen!

Jeff
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Mike,

Very nice show. ;)

Looks like a nice turnout and great venue. :)
  • Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Options
    Mike:

Nice! Good seeing you today. My pics tomorrow. :)

Mike
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    How did my niece hold up? Meet any, errrrrrrrr never mind, you have enough problems. LOL

Mike
  • egginator
    egginator Posts: 569
    Options
    We had a great time! Great location, met tons of really nice people- you guys are awesome!

Ed

Egged Char Siu Bao (Hum Bao)
    Adapted from http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Home_Baked_Char_Siu_Bao_(Hum_Bao)

Step 1: Make the Char Siu (BBQ'd Pork)
    Ingredients:
    ▪ About 2-2.5 lbs of pork butt/shoulder (Boneless country style ribs basically)
    ▪ 1 1/2 TB dark soy
    ▪ 1 1/2 TB light soy
    ▪ 1 1/2 TB honey
    ▪ 1 1/2 TB Oyster Sauce (make sure Oysters are actually in the ingredients)
    ▪ 2 TB whiskey
    ▪ 3 1/2 TB Hoisin sauce
    ▪ pinch pepper
    ▪ 1/2 tsp five spice powder

Method:
    ▪ Line a large roasting pan with foil. Mix up all ingredients except the pork and set aside.
    ▪ Turn to coat, and let marinate for 4 hours or up to overnight.
    ▪ Smoke at 250 with guava wood smoke until 195 internal temp
    ▪ Let cool to room temp, and refrigerate for 4 hours or up to overnight

Step 2: Make the filling
    Ingredients:
    ▪ 4 tsp oyster sauce
    ▪ 1 1/2 tsp dark soy
    ▪ 4 tsp ketchup
    ▪ 1 TB sugar
    ▪ pinch pepper
    ▪ 6 TB chicken broth
    ▪ 1 tsp sesame oil
    ▪ 1 TB peanut or vegetable oil
    ▪ 2/3 cup minced onions
    ▪ 1 cup roast pork
    ▪ 2 tsp Shao-Hsing wine or sherry

Method:
    ▪ Mix oyster sauce through sesame oil and set aside.
    ▪ Mince your onions and pork.
    ▪ Heat Wok on egg and put in the oil. Add onions and cook until onions start to turn brown. Add pork stir-frying for a few more minutes until pork is heated through, about one minute.
    ▪ Add wine or sherry, and mix well, cooking for another minute or so. Add sauce ingredients and stir-fry until mixture is thick and bubbly. Remove from heat and put in bowl. Let cool to room temp then refrigerate for 4 hours or up to overnight (yes, again!) You can make the dough while you let this cool and rest in the fridge.

Make the Dough
    Ingredients:
    ▪ 4 1/2 tsp dry active yeast
    ▪ ¾ c sugar
    ▪ 1 cup warm tap water
    ▪ 4 cups bread flour
    ▪ 1 egg, beaten
    ▪ ½ c peanut or vegetable oil

Make the bread dough

Making the bao!
    ▪ You'll need 16 squares of parchment paper cut into approximately 4"x4" squares.
    ▪ Roll a piece of the dough into a golfball size lump. Flatten into a 3-4” round, flat disc. Add a spoonful of filling and pinch two sides shut. Turn the bao a half turn, and pinch the opposite two sides shut. Pull the other open corners shut together. You'll be pinching a total of 4 times. Then do a final pinch, and twist the whole bottom together to make sure it's sealed.
    ▪ Don't make your dough too thin, or the filling will bust out when you go to bake it.
    ▪ Place you bao sealed-side down on a parchment paper square. Repeat for all your bao.

▪ Let rest in a warm spot for about an hour, or until they've risen a bit.

When risen, lightly mist the bao with water (or beer if you're at an eggfest and have nothing else) and using a pastry brush, brush the outside with a beaten egg. Bake in a 350 degree egg on a pizza stone on a plate setter for 15-20 minutes or until lightly golden brown on top.
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    I second that BB, it turned out to be a good time.

We just this minute finished the After Party. All tired and all very well fed.

Saw lots of old friends, met lots of new friends and sampled some really good food.

Thanks to the staff at BBQ Outfitters, the staff at The Iguana, Ed and Liesel Krach for devoting time to teaching Eggfest University, the musicians who kept us entertained and lots of folks who shared their food, knowledge and enthusiasm with an appreciative crowd.

Wonder what's in store for us next year?

Spring "Worth The Trip" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Mrs. Grillmeister
    Options
    Bob and the rest of the BBQ outfitters team thank you again for another wonderful Texas Eggfest!

It was wonderful to see so many old faces and of course meet some new folks at the Eggfest.

Attached are some pictures I took yesterday.

Looking forward to seeing everyone again at next years Texas Eggfest!

Here is the link to the photos I took yesterday:

http://s752.photobucket.com/albums/xx167/lkatebay/Texas Eggfest 2010/

Cheers,
    Mr. & Mrs. Grillmeister
  • Austin Smoker
    Austin Smoker Posts: 1,467
    Options
    Nice Mike! Great seeing you and eating with you!