Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Recent Chicken Experiments

Options
BluesnBBQ
BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I did a few chickens this week, in slightly different ways. This experimentation came from my idea of roasting a chicken in the Egg. Each time I used a smallish (3-3.5 lb) whole chicken. The chickens were cooked on a sitter, which rested in a drip pan on top of a pizza stone. Here's the resuls.[p]Chicken #1 - Very basic. I rubbed it with olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder. Cooked it at high heat (450-500) for about an hour. The skin was slightly burnt in a couple of places, but the meat was moist. The high temp did not dry it out. I used a couple of pecan chunks, but didn't notice any smoke taste. The taste was similar to a rotissere chicken, and my guests proclaimed me a "gourmet." [p]Chicken #2 - I made a paste from McCormick's Jamaican Jerk Rub, soy sauce, vegetable oil, and cider vinegar. I rubbed most of it under the skin, and rubbed the rest over the skin. I let it sit in the fridge (on the sitter) for about 30 minutes and cooked it the way I did #1. It was good, but I probably should have let it marinade longer. The major accomplishment with this one is I finally got the hang of separating the skin from the meat (only cut the skin in one place!). Next time I do this, I'm going to make a garlic/ginger/olive oil paste and let it sit much longer.[p]Chicken #3 - I brined this one Wednesday night. It wasn't completely thawed when I put it in the brine. I kind of killed two birds with one stone (no pun intended) by letting it thaw in the brine. I took it out and rinsed it Thursday morning. Then I put it in the sitter, and left it in the fridge (uncovered) all day. When I got home from work, I took it out, and rubbed the skin with olive oil and lemon pepper (just on a whim, I thought lemon pepper would go well with chicken. I was right). This one I started slow and low. I kept the temp around 200 for about 30 minutes. I used one soaked hickory chink. After the first half hour, I removed the top and let the temp rise. It got to about 400 for the last 10 minutes or so, but mostly cooked at around 350. I cooked it this way for about a half hour and shut both dampers. I let it dwell for 15 minutes. It came out very juicy and smokey. It probably could have cooked another 15 minutes, and a little hotter - I would have liked crispier skin. But I was very pleased with the results - from now on when I brine, I'm going to let my birds sit for a few hours when their baths are over.[p]The fast cook method is very easy to do chicken - it's a great way to quickly cook a meal. Whole chickens are generally very cheap, so it's also economical. I think next time I'll brine one and cook it hot and fast.[p]I found that I didn't need a very deep drip pan - you get a lot of grease when you cook at high temps, but a lot of it evaporates. For last night's chicken I used an aluminum foil pizza pan on top of the foil covered pizza stone. That worked fine. I wouldn't recommend doing this directly - you might end up with a grease fire! But with a pizza stone, you get a quickly cooked bird that won't burn.[p]Try roasting a chicken some time - I think you'll like it.

Comments