Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Level of the cooking surface

GJ
GJ Posts: 45
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I would like to cook pizza on the weekend so yesterday I purchased my fire bricks. I put my old grill from my water smoker (not used any more...wonder why:)) on top of the bricks and it is about 3/4 inch above the gasket. It is also a bit smaller than the surface area of the grill that came with my large BGE. Can I put my pizza stone on top of the raised grill and not worry if it is higher than the gasket? Also, would it matter if the stone over hung the smaller grill inside the Egg?[p]Thanks for the help.[p]

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    GJ, I would recommend using a cheap steel grill for the lower resting grill for the firebricks..the combination of concentrated heat and friction may deteriorate the porcelain grill surface. I did that to mine..but it works good anyway. Use the porcelain for the meats or food. I have several steel and chrome grills that I switch for different applications.[p]As long as you have the stone up where its convenient to apply, and retract the pizza..your fine..No matter if it overlaps the supporting grill or not. Should work. Some use
    extra mass under the stone..I don't and seems to work o.k for me.[p]Cheers..C~W

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    GJ,
    When I used firebricks for pizza I put down two flat on the main grid - then three on their sides - then the pizza stone on top of the three on their sides which acted like legs. The stone was 1/2" higher than the gasket which is perfect and makes getting the pie in and out much easier.[p]Tim