Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Abt\'s and Chicken

Options
'Q Bruddah
'Q Bruddah Posts: 739
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The weather here in Seattle turned out kinda nice and I was going to egg anyway so I am pleased that the sun is out.

Chicken is old hat and cheap today but I wanted a little adventure so I put together some ABT's. I don't have a grill extender or an A/R or even a drip pan. They didn't have any of that in the caves either so....
I am flying with what I got and having a good time.

chxandabts.jpg

platedabts.jpg

Sorry, the plated picture is a little fuzzy. I just tasted my first ABT. I understand what all the fuss is about. Now, THAT, is a mouthful of goodness. I am jumping up and down, I made it myself, I made it myself. WOW.

Comments

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    It all looks MITEEFINE to me. :)
  • 'Q Bruddah
    Options
    I edited and added the "after" shot of plated pleasure.
  • osbeavs
    osbeavs Posts: 10
    Options
    Looks tasty!

Greetings from Kitsap. Question: what's your ABT recipe? Been wanting to try them.

Thanks in advance.
  • osbeavs
    Options
    Looks tasty!

Greetings from Kitsap. Question: what's your ABT recipe? Been wanting to try them.

Thanks in advance.
  • 'Q Bruddah
    Options
    Beav, Glad you are out tonight. The recipe is the standard. Jalapenos stuffed with cream cheese and a little smoky, wrapped in bacon. Pull the top off the pepper don't cut the end off. Take the seeds and veins out unless you want it hotter. Grill raised for 45 minutes at 350°. Turn and crisp the bottom for 15 minutes. Let 'em cool a bit before you attack. I did them indirect at 4-450° because I don't have raised grill capabilities yet. But, Hey, it worked and you won't be the same after.
  • osbeavs
    Options
    Q- thanks for the info. I have a platesetter, but I just ordered a Woo3 and wok tonight from Ceramic Grill. I'll try the ABTs like you suggested. Ok, follow-up question: what does ABT stand for? I searched to no avail.

Up next on my menu of BGE 'firsts': pizza, ABTs, fish, stuffed tenderloins, stir fry. Only had my BGE for 2 months now.
  • 'Q Bruddah
    Options
    abt's drip to high heaven so if you want to keep things clean use a foil drip pan indirect.
  • reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    Options
    Nice job on the chicken and the ABT's. Watch out, ABT's are very addicting. I just never get tired of them. One of my favorite ways to do them is to cut the jalapeno in half lengthwise, remove the seeds, spread a little cream cheese on each 1/2, put some pulled pork on top of that and then cut a strip of bacon to fit the length of the jalapeno. Cook them on a raised grid. Cook at 350 till the bacon is done to your desired crispness, it usually takes around 25 mins. Watch closely near the end so the bacon doesn't burn.
    You can do a raised grid without buying an adjustable rig or a grid extender. If you do a search here I'm sure you'll find some clever ideas.
    I highly reccomend doing the ABT's raised though. :)
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    ABTs are a fun cook, but a little time consuming for the prep.
    Nice cook.
    Mike
  • 'Q Bruddah
    Options
    Thanks Anne. The addictive quality was apparent immediately. My son asked me to save him some. I only made six. I had to put the last two in the fridge out of sight. There was an excellent thread last night that was all about ABT's and adding a sweet component. I have learned that hot and sweet is my kind of heat.
    A grid extender is in my future and now that I have tried these it will be sooner rather than later.
  • 'Q Bruddah
    Options
    I agree there is some prep but the end results is so worth it. I can definitely see making these a party or pot luck regular. I have a restaurant background so a little prep seems normal to me. I played around with a variation on a rub for the chicken and had fun with that, too.