Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Resting times for Spatchcock Chicken

Options
WhackMaster719
WhackMaster719 Posts: 307
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Doing my first spatchcock chicken tonight on the BGE. Planning on using the whiz method: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/spatch.htm and wanted to know what the resting time should be after the hour cook so I could plan that into the dinner timing.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    Cook to an internal temp and not time...ie breast should be 160 and thighs 185-190....then let rest for about 10 minutes so juices can redistribute....

also you want chicken juices to run clear so you know it is done.
  • reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    Options
    I would let it rest about 10 mins. That should be sufficient for a spatchcock chicken.
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    I personally think that resting is overrated for chicken. I would carve it as soon as it was convenient to do so. Especially since you are starting with the legs and thighs, which is really just cutting the joints.

I also do not rest steaks, if they are intended to be single serving, rather than sliced and served.

I do agree to cook to temp and not time!
  • WhackMaster719
    Options
    Here is a funny question... Is there a special way to carve the chicken when it is done? You mentioned "starting with the leg and thigh", but my wife and I really prefer the breast meat for dinner and the rest for salads...
  • Hungry in Lilburn
    Options
    Breast meat of any foul that is going to be carved (sliced) should rest for 25 minutes to allow them to reabsorb. Butterball.
  • stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    Options
    mine are usually consumed within 10-15 minutes.. 2 teenagers,, if you want some you better grab it
    XL   Walled Lake, MI