Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

caring for Eggs in humid climate

Angela
Angela Posts: 543
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We are moving from the desert to swamp country. Anything we should know about caring for and maintaining BGEs in humid weather? I'm going from 4 inches of rain a year to 60. LOL
Egging on two larges + 36" Blackstone griddle

Comments

• nothing will rust on your egg. .. only thing that may happen is that if you don't use your eggs for an extended time, you may get some mold buildup inside your egg. ..not unusual to open your egg after a week or two of non-use and see some 'fur' growing inside . ..don't panic, just load her up with some lump, light her up and let it burn for 30 minutes or so until the hair is all gone, then you are ready to cook again. .. . no big deal. ..
  • Angela
    Thanks, good to know we can just burn it off no worries. Mold was the number one thing I was concerned about.
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    If you don't cook on it everyday or 3, you might get a mold problem. My friend had their wettest summer on record last year and didn't have a problem.
    Mike
  • I live south of New Orleans; the humid, swampy weather keeps your skin young-looking! RE: eggs & humidity, I keep my Eggs, uncovered, underneath a carport. I've never experienced mildew or mold on the insides, but my metal daisywheel caps did get some (very) superficial rust...I just rubbed it off & oiled the caps with a little olive oil I had on hand. I figured it would carbonize pretty fast, thus protecting the metal.
  • yeah, sometimes my small looks like a science experiment gone bad!!! . ...no big deal...it burns off in a few minutes at 500 degrees or so .. ..i figure the penicilen is good for the egg....
  • Here in the southern tier of the US, I sometimes go for spells of non-Egging. The cooker is outdoors in a screened-in, covered lanai and I've never had a problem with anything growing inside the Egg. I will add that I always do a hi-temp, mold/spore abatement burn after every cook (as I also do with my gasser). Hope this helps. Perhaps another possible solution is to leave a lo-watt bulb hooked to a timer inside the Egg. Many boaters up north do this when their craft is in storage during the winter months. Good luck!
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    The only thing I can add is to store your Daisy Wheel and any other CI accessories inside your egg. Put them in there when you are shutting down after a cook. This will go a long way towards preventing rust. B)

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • Angela
    oh thanks, good idea about storing the daisy wheel inside.
  • Tarpon65
    Tarpon65 Posts: 205
    That basically describes what my offset looks like since I purchased my egg. Poor thing just sits out in the rain doing nothing.
  • Don Marco
    Don Marco Posts: 287
    My eggs are outside year round and i like to spray the metal bands and hinge with PAM and then wipe the excess off a couple of times each year.

Otherwise, no problems.

DM
    www.don-marcos-bbq.de
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Arduinna,

Easy two step program.

Step one: use daily
    Step two: Repeat step one

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON