Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

URGENT - meat loaf question

Options
Dimple's Mom
Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm bbq'ing meatloaf. I have 6 of the aluminum pans. They each have 2#6oz of meatloaf mixture in them, to give you an idea of their size.

Anyway, I can fit all 6 on one large egg. I hadn't thought I could and was planning to use 2 large eggs, but since they can all go on one, wondering what to do. If all 6 are on one egg, they're fairly crowded together. And once I take them out of the foil pans, after the first hour or so, it might get tricky moving them around to cook evenly.

What do you think?

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    I think you answered your own question :)
  • deepsouth
    deepsouth Posts: 1,796
    Options
    i think you are safe either way. probably better to have some space between the pans, but i've cooked four pork butts totaling 45 lbs. on one LBGE.
  • Zinger
    Zinger Posts: 86
    Options
    Just a thought... But you might try using something to rotate the grate around. I have heard alot of people say that the eggs hot spot is in the back. If you could rotate the grate, you could keep any one meatloaf from sitting at the back of the egg for too long, without having to move the individual pieces.
  • Dimple's Mom
    Options
    Okay, now I have another issue. I just remembered that one of the thermometers is not working. So I have the one working BGE therm. but I also have a polder cooking therm/timer/clock. I've never actually used it. (Love my thermapen.) Can I use the polder to track the temp on the 2nd egg? Can I just stick it thru the little hole at the top, do you think?
  • Dimple's Mom
    Options
    That's a good idea. But in this situation, it doesn't rotate the loaves that are sitting in the center of the grate.

I think I'm going to use two eggs, just because I can, if I can figure out how to make the polder therm work to monitor the temp of the egg with the broken bge therm.