Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Spreading the love this Valentine’s Day with your EGG? Virginia Willis’ three course menu is perfect for a date night! February is also National Chocolate Lover’s Month, so don’t feel guilty if you’ve been cooking a little more dessert than usual on your EGG. If you’re looking for something a little more savory than chocolate, try some Roasted Chicken Flatbread or Pork Tenderloin with Honey Mustard.

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the History of the EGG Museum and the Culinary Center too!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Pork Steaks!

joe@bgejoe@bge Posts: 394
edited 8:27AM in EggHead Forum
I have been lurking on the forum for a few months now and really appreciate the cooks and recipes that everyone shares. I am a native St.Louisian and we enjoy our pork steaks here. I have cooked them twice now and I think I have the kinks worked out. I used Smokin' in the Dark Medium Rub Link Here and grilled indirect at 300 dome temp for about 3 hrs on my large. Sorry no pics...I'll take some next time. I love the medium rub from these guys...it is so versatile. Anyone else have any pork steak recommendations?

Comments

• Capt FrankCapt Frank Posts: 2,578
    What cut is "pork steak"? B) ?

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • joe@bgejoe@bge Posts: 394
    It's simply a steak cut off of a pork butt - I don't get around much, but I think they are pretty much a St. Louis/Kansas City thing.

• Egg-N-TinoEgg-N-Tino Posts: 157
    Yes, they are a cut from pork shoulder (Boston Butt) and we have them here in Oregon too :laugh: Sometimes called Country Ribs (Trust me, they are not ribs). They come boneless and bone-in, all depends on the butcher.

I did a couple the other night and followed Nature Boys procedure off of the Dizzy Pig website. It basically a raised grid with a 250 +/- dome temp. The ones I grabbed where not cut that thick and only took 2 hours. Added a chink of Guava wood at the start to get a bit of kiss :P of smoke flavor.

Indirect or Direct...I have done them both with great results.

Here is the link: http://www.dizzypigbbq.com/recipesCountryRibs.html
  • chronochrono Posts: 177
    I smoke mine indirect like pork butt at 250 for 3 hours or so. I like to put on my kc rub the night before so it soaks in .. yum yum!
  • Carolina QCarolina Q Posts: 9,223
    Frank, I'm glad you asked first. :lol: Never heard of a pork steak either... sounds good though. Anything with butt HAS to be good.

If you’re afraid of butter, use cream.    Julia Child

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

Well, all I gotta say is they don't raise them kinda pigs in Kentucky, or any where else south of the Mason/Dixon Line, Steaks don't come from Butts, but if its Pork its gotta be good! :P !!

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • BacchusBacchus Posts: 6,019
    We definately have country ribs down here though. And they are awesome. I go raised direct around 300 also, but they are usually done in around 2 hours.
  • KokemanKokeman Posts: 816
    I make them all the time. If they are good ones I do them indirect at 250. If they are the .99 cent ones from schnucks or shopnsave I do 250 indirect for 2 hours then simmer in a pan of BBQ sauce for 2 hours.
    Here are a couple along with some ribs and tators in the foil.
    IMG_8209.jpg
    I agree with you, country ribs are great and cook fairly fast, luv'm! :P

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • cbcb Posts: 27
    Yew they are a great meat cut native to our Missouri are. I grill mine at 300 for about 1 hour then simmer/baste in a BBQ-beer sauce- tender off the bone... sometimes I use a sweet-n-sour sauce. yes those .89 cents lb. make good grillin days and terrific pork sandwiches for many days after,,,,
  • joe@bgejoe@bge Posts: 394
    Thanks for the feedback. I've done a bunch of grilling on the egg since getting it in Febuary - there is no comparison. I was a tried and true weber kettle guy...and now there is no turning back. B)

I am working up some plans for a big cookout for Mother's Day...I'll post pics!