Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken Tails

Options
Charbon
Charbon Posts: 222
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
bf2bd895.jpg
<p />Chicken turned out great but I have a question. Do folks cut out the fat triangle from the rear of chicken prior to insertion of empty beer can and roasting? I can see no redeeming value of this part of chicken however I would bet there are some that eat this first? Also now I have foil square full of chicken fat cooling and awaiting various evening varmits. I would bet a 80 pound racoon could topple my small egg and ruin my holiday plans. Thanks

Comments

• Kanbun
    Kanbun Posts: 7
    Options
    Charbon,
    Great looking bird! Would you mind sharing your recipe/cooking technique? (I've been Egging for a week.)

• Charbon
    Charbon Posts: 222
    Options
    Kanbun, Pretty easy. Wash whole chicken, coat with herbs (Provence works) I use Cajun also. Put back in fridge for at least an hour. Drink several cans of any available beer, save one empty and place into rearend cavity of chicken so it stands on end. Place into 340 degree egg. I place onto Heavy duty foil square to catch grease. Cook for 1 and 1/2 hours. Next time I think I'm going to surgically remove fat piece on end. Check out Naked Whiz site for Spatchcock chicken which is also great. Good luck

• Kanbun
    Kanbun Posts: 7
    Options
    Charbon,
    Thanks, I'll give it a whirl.
    Mike

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Charbon, you'r enot supposed to drink ALL the beer. Only drink half of one can and use that one. And for those opposed to alcohol, there are also versions that call for Coca-Cola, Dr. Pepper, Ginger Ale and (shudder) root beer.
  • captaincraigb
    Options
    Charbon,
    why is the beer can empty? thought it was supose to have something in it to provide moisture?

• jwitheld
    jwitheld Posts: 284
    Options
    Wise One,
    or drink all the beer and use a can of water or an empty can. with the BGE or any ceramic chicken comes off wet already

• Unknown
    Options
    Charbon,
    My mother-in-law is always beggin this piece from me when I carve - not sure whether it's for her, or her cats, but I think it's for her.