Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Epic Failure...sort of...(Salmon - Direct)

Options
NoleC5
NoleC5 Posts: 176
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well, I read a post a few days ago regarding direct salmon and thought I'd give it a shot.

Started out with the a 450 degree egg, lightly oiled the grilling surface and placed fillet skin side down. Let them grill for about 5-6 minutes and then flipped. Now, the post I read indicated that you should pull the skin off after the flip and baste. Most of the skin came off with now problem, but apparently some was left which smoked a lot.

Am I missing something? Is it supposed to smoke that much? Just didn't seem like it would produce "good eats"?? Although the fish itself ended up being pretty good.

Comments

• Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    If I’m going to put a flavor on…I marinade first and don’t bother with a baste, but that’s just me. Everybody has a method that works for them.
    I have even done skin on, skin down until done, but on a raised grid at about 350 F.
    Bottom line being…You liked it. This is only a test / experiment! We just keep cooking!
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I always cook salmon direct on a raised grid setup.

I cook it flesh side down for just a few minutes to get a bit of a crust, then flip it skin side down and cook it to about 118&deg - you can baste if you want after the flip.

When it's done the fillet will pull right off the skin, or you can serve it on the skin. That's what I usually do.
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    Options
    i cook direct at 350 and got tired of fish sticking to the c/i i now put down a thin bed of lemon slices and place fish on them lemons will often stick but the fish does not. we are sushi eaters so we do not flip and remove from heat sooner than most would [i think] if i want char i use a pan as i find the meat sinks around the grids and removal is problematic
    just my 2¢
  • NoleC5
    Options
    Great! Thanks everyone. Sounds like I may need to try a raised grid and a little lower temp next time!
  • Fidel
    Options
    bill,

this reminds me of a tip I wanted to share. When fish sticks a little I use a pair of chopsticks to get under the fish between the grid and gently lift. Then move over a couple rows of grid and do it again. Repeat at necessary to free the fish then lift with the sticks from the center just enough to get your spatula under it to flip.

Works for me. Sometimes no matter how clean the grid and how much oil/pam you put on there the fish is going to stick in a couple places. I find this helps me flip it without tearing up the whole fillet.
  • skihorn
    skihorn Posts: 600
    Options
    I do mine direct and follow the recipe in my BGE manual. I don't raise the grid. I simply have it on a fish grid, skin down (spray grid with non-stick to be safe). The dome is a stabilized 350 (direct) When I add the fish grid the temp wil drop and never really get all the way back to 350 but I do not tweak. I do not flip. Take off at exactly 15 minutes (recipe says 15 to 20). It has always been outstanding when pulled at 15 minutes. I did leave on closer to 20 once and it dried out the fish just a little. Use alder for smoke. See recipe for pre-cook marinade. For serving it just peels right off the skin.

This is quite possibly my favorite food on the Egg.

Freddie
    League City, TX
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    Options
    thanks i can use that,, i buy diposable chop sticks by the bag of 100 at the asian market... good to have around
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    NoleC5,

Salmon skin is delicious when it is well cooked.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Fidel
    Options
    Agreed...especially when wrapped with some cucumber, mayo, and short grain rice.

Love a salmon skin roll.

How are you my little northern brother? Don't talk to you nearly as much as I used to (or as often as I should).
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Rod,

All is good! How about you? Are you thinking about Nieggara?

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• NoleC5
    Options
    So is it normal for this kind of cook (fish, skin on, direct) to smoke heavily?
  • Fidel
    Options
    I don't add smoke to fish. Just a light hint from the lump is plenty for my tastes.
  • Fidel
    Options
    I don't plan 5 days in advance, let alone 5 months.

Call me a definite "I don't know". But I'd love to come take some more cooking/drinking lessons from you.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    NoleC5,

There is a lot of fat in salmon skin. It will smoke heavily if the grid is close to the lump. Still tastes great. Burned my fingers lots pickin it off and eating it. ;)

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    DSC09772a.jpg

If you break the skin during the cook, that let's moisture out..... Basting or adding a sauce is a nice touch, although sometimes you can add that once it's plated.

I think your pit temp was a little high, and try oiling the skin more than the grate. I never turn fish on the grill (but I will scoot it to make sure it's not sticking), and I cook it on a raised grate.

DSC09521a.jpg

DSC05893JPGa.jpg

DSC05177JPGa.jpg

DSC08906aa.jpg

DSC07957a.jpg

DSC07640a.jpg

DSC05434JPGb.jpg

DSC04544a.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • NoleC5
    Options
    Awesome....thanks everyone! Looking forward to giving it another go soon!