Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Salmon

Options
Cruezn
Cruezn Posts: 317
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Cooked Salmon on my LBGE last night for the first time. I'm not really a Salmon guy, but wow, did it turn out good. I didn't get any pictures since it was a late decision by my wife to try the Salmon. At any rate, cooked it on a plank at 350 for 20 minutes or so. Wanted 400, but egg had a mind of its own, and it was too late to fight with it. Used DP Raging River, put a couple of very thin pats of butter on each filet, and sprinkled with lime juice. I cooked it to 125 internal, and it was by far the best fish I've ever eaten. There was an apple chunk left in my lump from my rib cook on Saturday, so it had a real light smoke taste to it as well. I put some DP Swamp Venom (didn't need much) on my filet as well. Good stuff. Next time I'll try and get some pics, by my kids destroyed it.

Comments

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Sounds great. It is also good directly on the grid, sans plank.
  • skihorn
    skihorn Posts: 600
    Options
    While many swear by the planks, my favorite is done direct on a fish grid. I follow the grilled salmon recipe in my BGE manual. It is one of the few things I cook to time rather than temp. I cook it exactly 15 minutes and it is always perfect. The recipe says 15-20 minutes but the one time I did 20 it was just a little drier than unusual.

Try alder for smoke regardless of which method you choose.

Freddie
    League City, TX
  • Cruezn
    Options
    When you say grid, are you talking about one of those stainless things for vegetables, with holes in it, or directly on the grill grate?
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    Man, that does sound good! I love fish from the Egg!
    I have done both direct and planked (indirect)…
    I have found that a “skin on” is very nice on the grid and that a “skin off” works best on the plank.
    My 2 cents!
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    Skin on...Direct on the grid / grate.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Directly on the BGE cooking grid. You could get on of those small holed deals from Home Depot or even a Pizza Screen if it makes you feel better, but most likely it is not going to be a problem on the regular grid.
  • Cruezn
    Options
    I'll have to try it on the grate. This was skin on, and a very easy cook. It was so good, I think we'll have to do it again, very soon.
  • skihorn
    skihorn Posts: 600
    Options
    Cruezn: I use a fish/pizza grid. Mine is black with little holes all through it. I got mine at my Egg store but I don't think it is a BGE product. Yes, the fish goes directly on it skin side down. For serving the fish just peels right out of the skin. As I just said on another thread, this may be my favorite Egg dish and that is saying a lot. If your Egg manual does not have the recipe (the marinade is probably the one thing I did not include) post again and I will find it for you. Or shoot me an e-mail. skihorn61@yahoo.com

Freddie
    League City, TX
  • Manfred
    Manfred Posts: 186
    Options
    I combine two type of cooking. I go by the Dizzy Pig maple salmon and the plank salmon on the naked whiz sights. When i cook that way there are no left overs. happy egging