Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question for Carwash Mike (or any rib experts)

Options
Cruezn
Cruezn Posts: 317
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I made baby back ribs Saturday using Carwash Mike's recipe. The taste was fantastic, but they were tough. I followed the directions to a T, and even went 30 minutes over because I wasn't convinced they were done. Two weeks ago, I did the exact same thing, but pulled them off at the recommended time. They were tough. Delicious, but tough. I guess what I'm getting at, is I'm having trouble determining when they are done. Does someone have picture that can show me what ribs should look like when they are done (the bend test). Both times I thought they bent enough when I picked them up from one end. Advice will be appreciated. Also, both times, the ribs were frozen. I only buy fresh, but my new neighbors gave me 4 racks that were already frozen. They were also Hormel, so they were injected with some solution, so maybe that made a difference. At any rate, if someone could provide a picture of a perfectly done rib, I'd appreciate it so I know exactly what to look for. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    DSC02287a.jpg

Not sure how much this photo will help you out... these are belly ribs. But back ribs will yield to the tongs about the same way.

One good thing about the CWM method is that the instructions are so complete, they are almost foolproof. This leads me to thinking that you did start off with less than ideal pork OR you are expecting a more tender rib than this method will produce.

It's always a good idea to start off with non-enhanced, fresh (meaning never frozen) pork. If pork is frozen, it should only be frozen once. It's possible your neighbors bought previously frozen ribs on sale and re-froze them. Or maybe they were in the freezer too long.

DSC09148a.jpg

Now, maybe you are looking for fall-off-the-bone ribs, instead of bite-off-the-bone ribs (which will still have a small amount of tug on them), if so... you should try a 30 to 45 minute foil step. This is really an independent step which tenderizes the meat.

DSC09695b.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
    These were perfect(too me),but I don't remember how I did them :pinch: :pinch: :pinch:

DSC_0047-2.jpg

DSC_0072.jpg

DSC_0074-2.jpg
  • Cruezn
    Options
    Thanks for the photos. I'm hoping the frozen enhanced meat is my problem. I am trying fresh next time, but who can say no to free ribs? :laugh: I don't want fall off the bone ribs, but am trying to recreate my favorite BBQ ribs from Bandana's BBQ. I guess trying is half the fun (and eating :P )
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    Bend test says they are done - almost tear apart when picked up with tongs half way down the wib wack.

IMG_4387800x600.jpg

IMG_5984800x600.jpg
  • Cruezn
    Options
    That's what I'm looking for. Thanks.