Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st Brisket - Suggestions Welcomed

Options
Goody
Goody Posts: 102
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Last Sunday (Master Sunday) I decided to do my first brisket. Just got a 3 lber since it was just going to be me and a buddy watching the final round of the Masters. Got the egg fired up around 5:00 am got it stabilized at 250 around 6:00 am. Put the brisket on and let it go until noon and then checked it for the first time to see internal temp. At that point, to my surprise, it had not reached 180 internal temp yet. Let it go another hour and checked temp and was not quit 180 yet but near there. Used a fork to check tenderness, and it was in spots, but not everywhere. Let it go for a while longer performing a fork test every once in a while. Finally pulled it of at 2:00 pm since it had been on for 8 hrs and it was only 3 lbs. Seemed ok by fork test most places. Wrapped it in foil and towels with beef broth, placed in a cooler and took it to my buddy's house. Sliced it up around four and served it with baked beans.

Flavor was pretty good but it was not as tender as I had hoped. I would say not bad for the first one and did feel it was a little more successful than the first butt, however as with most this as I am still learning on the egg, it can always be better. I will definitely keep up the practice.

Any suggestions are always welcomed for all the EGGSperts out there. Here are some pics.

DSC_0001.jpg

Brisket.jpg

Brisket-PlatedwithBeansandSauce.jpg

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Hard to tell, but in your pics it almost looks like you sliced it with the grain instead of across the grain.

Your method sounds pretty solid to me.
  • Sorry Can not help you directly, but I learned the larger the brisket the easier it is. I usually do 12 - 15 lbs at 225 usually done 12- 18 hrs. Anything smaller than 5lbs always has turned out tough and not tender! It helps to inject it as well.
  • Goody
    Goody Posts: 102
    Options
    Yeah I am getting that feeling about the size. I think the same is true for my 1st butt that I posted about a week or so ago. Only did a 4 lbder there. Will do both bigger next time. I guess it will just be a good excuse to have friends over! ;)

I did inject the butt, but not the brisket when I did it. Was a little more hurried when prepping on the brisket. Will try that next time.

Thanks.
  • bbq hog
    bbq hog Posts: 1
    Options
    It's best to get a brisket 10-13 lbs. Put a rub on cook it with the fat side up. Smoking at 200-220 degrees. After 6 hours wrap the brisket in tin foil and continue cooking at the same temp as above for 10 more hours. Brisket takes a long time but is best at the low and slow method. Good luck
  • Scotty's Inferno
    Options
    It also makes sense to cook a lot. These cuts are cheap, and your egg is going to be lit for hours anyway. I freeze leftover pulled pork and beef in portioned food saver bags and reheat with great results. I always make 2 7-8lb butts when using my large egg. Scott