Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Briskett The Old Fashioned Way

BayouMark
BayouMark Posts: 284
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Last night for dinner I cooked some pork chops that I cut from a large loin roast. I dusted them with red eye express which seems to go well with pork. Kept the fire going and then reloaded (thanks Sarah)and added hickory chunks and an 8 lb briskett. Cook was indirect at 250 dome. No guru, no maverick, nuthin but my thermapen. I just pulled it at 205 internal and it's now wrapped and resting. I dusted it with BBR also.

I guess my point is that I want a guru (actually a cyber q) but that requires the purchase of another egg plus the cyber q. You can do a low and slow without the goodies. I slept my usual 8 hrs. This is especially for folks new to egging and think they have to have the latest in order to cook. ;)

Comments

• BayouMark
    I'll post pics later after the slicing.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    I have a CyberQ II and a Maverick ET-73 and a Thermapen and two large eggs. I can egg with the gadgets or without the gadgets but, all in all the Thermapen is my go to gadget.

Can't wait to see your pic's.
  • An excellent point made!!
    I’m sure that the over-night idea does put off some folk, but really the Egg does a very nice job of holding fire.
    My long cooks have only ranged from eight to twelve hours, so I have yet to do what some folk here have accomplished…
    However, in the three + years I have been cooking with the Egg, only once have I lost a fire! I’m staying low tech!
    Looking forward to seeing your finish!
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    BayouMark wrote:
    I want a guru (actually a cyber q) but that requires the purchase of another egg plus the cyber q.

Why is that? I have a Stoker, but I assume it is similar to a cyber q. Can't you take the fan off in about 1 second?

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• BayouMark
    The second egg is to get the full use of the cyber q. I guess you can use it with one egg but then why buy a cyber q. I have no idea what a stoker is. I've heard them talked about but never really checked them out.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Great point!! I agree 100%! I've done numerous overnighters with the egg(s) holding steady all night. It's really about stabilizing the initail tempature.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Mark,

The Stoker does the same thing as a Cyber-Q, just another brand ( http://www.rocksbarbque.com/ ).

They both control the temperature of a cook by turning on/off a fan at the air intake. Both can control multiple Eggs, but (in my experience) that is not a big deal. Most people only use these devices for long, slow cooks. There have been many threads regarding fires going out over night or runaway temperatures.

I have two Eggs, but have never used the Stoker at the same time on both Eggs. If I'm doing a 20 hour brisket cook on one with the Stoker, I'm not doing a long, slow cook on the other Egg at the same time.

So, unless I'm totally misunderstanding you (which is entirely possible), I don't know why buying a second Egg would be a consideration for a purchase of a Cyber Q.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    openpit2.jpg

I thought this was the old fashioned way. Heheheee.

You are right in that the draft controllers are neat, but it's good you can operate your cooker sucessfully without one. On un-assisted overnight cooks like you did, I still peek at the thermometer every 4 hours... it's rare I ever have to do anything (well, maybe a wiggle) but it gives me peace of mind.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Yea, that's the old fashioned way, but that's not brisket ;)
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    DSC08369a.jpg

Okay pardner.... How about sort of olde time, but all brisket?

DSC02847a.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    CONGRATS!!! I'm with you.The gadgets are fine if you want them but you don't NEED them. B)
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Hey Wayne, is that you on the right? :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • I am with you mark but I do use a Maverick. I would like to heve a guru but as stable as the temps stay on the Egg it hard for me to justify getting one. Maybe Santa will bring me one. :laugh:
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

How about sort of olde time...

:woohoo: Olde tme but not BGE :):)

My last brisket looked like it was the meteor that was on the news the other night, well probably what the meteor looked like after producing the night light.

GG