Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New to this

Options
Smyrna Cooker
Smyrna Cooker Posts: 5
edited November -1 in Weight Loss Forum
Hello all. I recently got an egg for my bday and it is great. Unfortunatley I have found that cooking on it produces some good foods that are high in calories. I have started to work out and an starting to cook more healthy meals. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Smyrna Cooker,

The egg is great for all types of Asian cooking, wok, fish, moist skinless chicken and vegetables. Ratatouille is awesome with smoke as are bean and lentil dishes. Lamb, all mediterranean cooks. It isn't all pulled pork.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• 'Q Bruddah
    'Q Bruddah Posts: 739
    Options
    Well said!! I am learning its not all rubs and sauces. The egg is so versatile and as has been said many times if you can cook it in your inside oven you can cook it in an egg.
  • Hungry Celeste
    Options
    Have you tried pizza? Make a whole grain crust (or buy some whole wheat dough from Whole Foods). Go easy on the cheese, and the sky's the limit for veggie toppings: squash blossoms, julienned zucchini, spinach, mushrooms, etc. It's way better and way healthier than a pepperoni-loaded frozen pie.

Skinless chicken might seem boring at first, but it doesn't have to be. Tandoori, jerk, satay--lots of high-flavor ways to perk up lean protein (most of these seasonings are compatible with firm, white-fleshed fish like grouper or mahi, too).

Grilled veggies and hobo packs (sealed aluminum foil pouches, good for steaming delicate things) open up another universe of non-fatty, non-meat possibilities.
  • Lothar
    Lothar Posts: 30
    Options
    One thing that I like to do with my egg is to make my own smoked chicken that I can then use in a variety of ways. I got the idea (not that it is a unique idea) from the packages of frozen pre-cooked mesquite or hickory flavored chicken breast strips. These are great for a variety of dishes (chicken fajitas, quesadillas, chicken fettucini, chicken pizza, etc...) but the store-bought stuff is quite pricey.

I realized that I could buy large packages of boneless, skinless chicken breasts and smoke them myself. I just salt and pepper them and grill them on the egg with whatever wood chips I have on hand. After they are cooked and cooled, I simply cut them up in a variety of ways. Some of the breasts are diced or cubed - great for chicken salad, some I cut into strips, some I leave whole. After cutting them, I lay them out on a pan and stick them in my deep freeze until frozen, then I bag them and keep them in the freezer. Pre-freezing them prevents them from sticking together in a frozen lump.

Like I said, these are great for chicken salad, chicken fajitas, chicken pizza topping, salad toppings, etc... and the whole breasts make for a quick heat and serve when I need a tasty meal but don't have time to fire up the egg.
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    I'm workin on a recipe; Clay's Pulled Pork Tenderloin. It's really good and low fat. B)
  • llrickman
    llrickman Posts: 654
    Options
    Clay that is a recipe id be very interested in. I like tenderloin but get real bored with it real fast.

I have been a Diabetic for several years and have always been on oral meds, 3 weeks ago i was put on insulin and i have decided it time to make a drastic lifestyle change and cooking butt every weekend isnt the way to do it.

Ive got well over 100 lbs to lose. Ive changed my diet drastically , but have to change even more Im 43 years old and if i dont change something i'll never make it to 50

Im going to start experimenting with grilled fish , shrimp , scallops along with doing alot more chicken and veggies.
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM