Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

NOt sure about this cook :(

2»

Comments

• You are welcome, Mark.

Now you see why everyone makes 2-3 butts at once, 3 times as much meat with the same amount of effort/angst you are going through right now!

I have faith this will turn out just fine. If you go to sleep, set your alarm to check it every few hours.

Faith
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Mark0525
    Mark0525 Posts: 1,235
    Tweev wrote:
    Mark! Screw that - defeat is not an option! Victory will be yours! BOOYA!
    Thanks Tweev, almost 2 hours now and holding strong. Feeling pretty good right now
  • Mark0525
    Florida Grillin Girl wrote:
    You are welcome, Mark.

Now you see why everyone makes 2-3 butts at once, 3 times as much meat with the same amount of effort/angst you are going through right now!

I have faith this will turn out just fine. If you go to sleep, set your alarm to check it every few hours.

Faith
    I see that, wow, too much pressure for one little roast.
  • Mark0525
    2 Hrs and 111 already. Is that too fast or should I drink more?
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Drink!...It will hit a plateau at around 160 and set there several hours. :)
  • Mark0525
    Hoss wrote:
    Drink!...It will hit a plateau at around 160 and set there several hours. :)
    Thanks, I just cracked up when I read that :) I'm drinking
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Mark, stop looking at the temp. Chill out and watch a movie or something. ;)
  • Mark0525
    Bacchus wrote:
    Mark, stop looking at the temp. Chill out and watch a movie or something. ;)
    Stop yelling at me :laugh: Just kidding. ok, I'm fine no more posting. Thanks guys
  • I find that I can get the temperature to jump really fast if I use a hairdryer to pump air in through the bottom vent.
  • Mark0525
    Egghead Ike wrote:
    I find that I can get the temperature to jump really fast if I use a hairdryer to pump air in through the bottom vent.
    I thought about doing that. Next time I will
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

I know you said you went to bed...

It can but it shouldn't take that long to get up to 250°. Anytime the egg takes a long time to light or a long time to get up to temperature use a wiggle rod. and clear an air path up from under the lump pile.

GG
  • Mark0525
    Grandpas Grub wrote:

I know you said you went to bed...

It can but it shouldn't take that long to get up to 250°. Anytime the egg takes a long time to light or a long time to get up to temperature use a wiggle rod. and clear an air path up from under the lump pile.

GG
    I agree that's what was so frustrating and I thought I was doing something wrong..all seems good right now. Just nervous it's getting too done now at 146 with 3 hrs in.
  • Grandpas Grub

What did you use to light you lump, where, how long did you leave the dome open when starting.

More on the temperature in a minute.

Oh, figured you might be up... :laugh: I love reading about first low & slows, especially when it is an overnight'r.

GG
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    It ain't done til it hits 195 Internal!It will stay in a plateu(sp) a few hours.It will hit he plateu at 160 - 170 and set there,then rise to 195. :)
  • Grandpas Grub

"Just nervous it's getting too done now at 146 with 3 hrs in"

If you don't have a remote thermometer or pvs STOP OPENING THE DOME!!! and you won't have to worry about how hot the meat is. It won't be done till morning at the earliest.

Opening and peeking/checking is going to make temperature go up.

GG
  • ranger ray
    ranger ray Posts: 812
    stick your leaf blower in the lower vent.... you be able to forge iron in a couple of minutes....(aka blacksmith thing).... lol
  • Mark0525
    Grandpas Grub wrote:

"Just nervous it's getting too done now at 146 with 3 hrs in"

If you don't have a remote thermometer or pvs STOP OPENING THE DOME!!! and you won't have to worry about how hot the meat is. It won't be done till morning at the earliest.

Opening and peeking/checking is going to make temperature go up.

GG
    Is that an assumption on your part that I even opened the dome once? I did not. I used my Maverick 73 to show me both the internal and the dome temp and it worked great...Thanks for the advice anyways :)
  • Grandpas Grub

No, the small writing in front of the big writing says "IF" :)

Other people read the posts too and hopefully we all (lurkers too) learn from the responses.

Nice looking pictures of the finished cook.

GG
  • Mark0525
    Thank you, I think I'm going to try your pot roast next