Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

NOt sure about this cook :(

Mark0525
Mark0525 Posts: 1,235
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm having a hell of a time getting this cook going. I separated the lump and put large on bottom and built up. I lit it in 2 different places and it's taking forever to get the temp up. After almost an hour the temp finally went up to 250 and that was with both vents open wide. It started to creep up and so I started to close the vents little at a time. Now it's at 250 and I put the meat on which made it drop which I knew it would. My fear is that I will not be able to maintain this temp all night long. Is it normal to take this long with this much lump?

Mark

Comments

• Roll Tide
    Roll Tide Posts: 505
    Did you calibrate your thermometer to ensure accuracy? If you get egg settled it will hold temp. First couple hours keep closer eye on it, but once setlled you're fine.
  • civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    Something doesn't sound right. I use a mapp torch and light in three places with the vents open until I start approaching my target temp then shut things down. I normally can get to temp in 15 minutes then let it burn another 1/2 hour to get rid of the VOCs until I place the meat in. Is your fire box opening lined up with the grate? Did you start with a clean egg? Leave the bottom vent open 1/8" to 1/4" and the top at 1/4 open pettles and all should be well. You also should check temp every 3 hours or so unless you have a Maverick ET-73 or similar device. Murphy's Law is valid with overnight cooks also.
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Was it "stabalized" at 250...as in stayed at that temp for 15 to 30 minutes with no more vent adjustments...before you put the meat on?????
  • Mark0525
    civil eggineer wrote:
    Something doesn't sound right. I use a mapp torch and light in three places with the vents open until I start approaching my target temp then shut things down. I normally can get to temp in 15 minutes then let it burn another 1/2 hour to get rid of the VOCs until I place the meat in. Is your fire box opening lined up with the grate? Did you start with a clean egg? Leave the bottom vent open 1/8" to 1/4" and the top at 1/4 open pettles and all should be well. You also should check temp every 3 hours or so unless you have a Maverick ET-73 or similar device. Murphy's Law is valid with overnight cooks also.
    Yes I cleaned the egg out, I have a Maverick, The only thing I noticed is the bottom grate where I use my wiggle rod must of shifted over allowing a larger opening but it's glowing red and seems to be holding 250 for about 20 minutes so far
  • Mark0525
    Come on Wess save me here!!!! :)
  • WessB
    Already answered above...relax dude....it'll work out..may need some tweakin but thats doubtful...you got tons of good info earlier today..
  • Mark0525
    I know and I was pumped until it took so long get the heat going. Never took this long for the temp to get to 250.
  • WessB
    Send an E mail to my addy in my signature with a phone # and I will help you any way I can..
  • Mark0525
    WessB wrote:
    Was it "stabalized" at 250...as in stayed at that temp for 15 to 30 minutes with no more vent adjustments...before you put the meat on?????
    Sorry missed this reply. yes it was stable for at least 20 minutes then dropped and then came back up. I don't think I'm cut out for this much pressure :) 40 minutes on and internal temp is 58. Starting to drink more
  • Mark0525
    Thanks Wess, maybe it's settled down
  • WessB
    See my other post below...send a phone #
  • Mark0525
    just went out and checked. Up to 280, closed vent very slightly. OK I might be able to relax awhile. Wess I'll call you at 3 am...lol Just kidding
  • WessB
    You can call...but you wont get an answer at 3 am....if you wanna talk about things I'm good for another hour or 2..would love to help if I can
  • Mark0525
    breath in breath out....I think I'm ok :) Wess, I don't like bothering people personally but I do appreciate all the help....Do you think I'm just too uptight to really enjoy this and be able to relax?
  • Mark, it will be fine. Try not to mess with the vents too much or you won't be going to bed tonight. This is an EASY cook, you are waaayyy over thinking it.

Faith
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Mark0525
    Hi Faith :) That's what I thought too. Just didn't think it would take this long to stabilize the temp. Is that normal with this much lump? OK it's been on for an hour and seems to be holding 260 -270. When should I walk away and think it's safe?
  • Mark0525
    Internal temp started at 45 and now is up to 70 after an hour. Does that sound good
  • Yes, it sounds good. You are going to have to hang until its around 250 for quite awhile, I mean a few hours, OK? Sorry, but that's the way it is.

Faith
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

• Mark0525
    Tweev wrote:
    OK mark - relax and ball up. This cook is simple - just relax dude!
    Tweev, where the hell have you been :) I'm drinking beer now so I'm starting to relax
  • Mark0525
    Faith, I can handle that. My luck though I went to the store where I buy my lump to get another bag in case it burns out and they were closed...so I'm out of luck if I do :)
  • Drink up and dont go to bed until it has maintained 250 for 2 hours at least. You are fine on the lump, I'm sure, just don't open the lid.

Faith

• Mark0525
    Tweev wrote:
    We had to cut 'meat week' short. I couldn't take it anymore!

Keep egg around 220-270 is great. If it's done early: wrap in foil and towels and put in in a cooler - until feeding time. If it's not done two hours ahead - wrap in foil and crank to 400. How could it be any easier than that? :)

I'd wish you luck but I know you don't need it. I'm so confident in your ability to cook this pork that I don't think even god himself could screw it up on you! :evil:
    I guess the good thing is that I don't have a time table. Just for my family so when ever it's done it's done. THanks for your confidence :)
  • RVH
    RVH Posts: 523
    Mark, like I commented earlier, you will not get any sleep tonight, the cook will come out okay, people will rave about your pulled pork tomorrow, and then you will get a good nap as you realize that it was all worth it. :) They do get easier, and next time you might try lighting the lump in three or four places to speed up the pre-heat. Oh, and don't call Wess at 3:00AM :woohoo:
  • Mark0525
    Florida Grillin Girl wrote:
    Drink up and dont go to bed until it has maintained 250 for 2 hours at least. You are fine on the lump, I'm sure, just don't open the lid.

Faith
    :) what would I do without you Faith? You've helped out twice now...Thank you
  • 'Q Bruddah
    'Q Bruddah Posts: 739
    Come to think of it I am glad you're just cooking a butt instead getting married THAT musta' been a day.
  • Mark0525
    RVH wrote:
    Mark, like I commented earlier, you will not get any sleep tonight, the cook will come out okay, people will rave about your pulled pork tomorrow, and then you will get a good nap as you realize that it was all worth it. :) They do get easier, and next time you might try lighting the lump in three or four places to speed up the pre-heat. Oh, and don't call Wess at 3:00AM :woohoo:
    Thnak you, I will call you instead :)
  • Mark0525
    'Q Bruddah wrote:
    Come to think of it I am glad you're just cooking a butt instead getting married THAT musta' been a day.
    Wow, that hurt :) Am I that bad....don't answer that
  • RVH
    RVH Posts: 523
    Mark0525 wrote:[/quote]
    Thnak you, I will call you instead :)[/quote]

Mark...MARK..your're brea...king..up..Mark..10-9..10-9.. ca..nt.....Mark....Mar.....10-01.....
  • 'Q Bruddah
    'Q Bruddah Posts: 739
    I didn't mean to offend but the advice to relax is well documented. Absolute worse case scenario you ruin a twenty dollar hunk of meat and learn a ton. The urge to fiddle should be ignored. It is the journey that should be enjoyed. Fretting ruins the experience. Que Sera Sera. Whatever will be, will be.
  • Mark0525
    'Q Bruddah wrote:
    I didn't mean to offend but the advice to relax is well documented. Absolute worse case scenario you ruin a twenty dollar hunk of meat and learn a ton. The urge to fiddle should be ignored. It is the journey that should be enjoyed. Fretting ruins the experience. Que Sera Sera. Whatever will be, will be.
    No offense take :) Great advice and you were real close it was 18.50 for the Butt....lol